𝟬𝟭 | Old Resentments..

CHAPTER ONE: OLD RESENTMENTS

CHAPTER ONE:
OLD RESENTMENTS..

▬▬ ☯︎︎ ▬▬

BILLIE HUFFED, CROSSING HER ARMS AGAINST HER CHEST. Standing behind her mother for more than ten minutes while hustling through New York City's airport was possibly the most boring task that Billie had ever been faced with; other than math, of course.

"I heard that."

"What? Me breathing? What's so bad about that?"

Maria Rodriguez sighed, turning around to face her annoyance-ridden daughter with a sympathetic gaze. "There's nothing wrong with breathing, Billie. I would be insane if I thought that, but what you did wasn't exhaling. It was huffing. So what's bothering you, Billie-Jean?"

"Billie, Mom. Just Billie."

"Fine. Just Billie, what's bothering you?"

  Billie rolled her eyes, watching as her mother cracked a small, amused smirk. "Very funny, Mom. But if you must know what's bothering me, it's really—you know—easy to figure out," Billie said, stuffing her hands into her orange leather jacket.

  "Hmm. Easy to figure out? Alright, gimme some hints," Maria asked, looking on at Billie with a knowing twinkle in her dark brown eyes.

"Okay. Greying hair, brown eyes, ass clothing choices, and a really small—"

"Billie Marie!"

"What! I'm just telling the truth! If he's got the dumbass personality it makes sense that he wouldn't have—you know—anything down there," Billie defended, hands shooting out of her jacket as she waved them around while speaking.

"My lord, Billie. Who raised you?" Her mother questioned, clearly already knowing the answer, but just throwing it out there for talks sake. Billie smirked as she heard the slight twinge of a laugh surface in Maria's words.

  "Well, technically it was you, but I mean, he was at least there for what? Thirteen years?" Billie rambled as they moved up the airport line; now only about three people away from getting their belongings and bags scanned. "I don't know. I lost count and care after we moved."

  Maria shook her head, examining her daughter with knowing eyes. "Billie, I know what you're doing. Stop pretending you're alright and talk to me. I know this is hard on you—trust me. But you can't hide behind sarcasm and indifference forever, Billie. One day your feelings will catch up to you."