∆Zander Macklin∆

Chapter One

A loud, painful scream echoed throughout the empty hallway of some building where Zander has been imprisoned for years, and if his memories serve him right, it has been fifteen years since he's been in this place. Fifteen long, lonesome years in an isolated room, a white room with only a one-person bed that's placed near the wall. There are no windows, as you would have guessed, which means he doesn't even know if the sun is out or not. There were also cameras placed somewhere in his room (he didn't bother to look for them). He always did feel like he was being watched 24/7, which was an obvious observation.

It's so lonely in that room that Zander sometimes feels claustrophobic, despite living in it for fifteen years.

There is nothing to do in that place, and knowing Zander, he's easily bored. Plus, they don't allow their "patients" to bring anything back to their rooms, even if it's a book.

Well, he supposed he could do some push-ups or any kind of exercise or workout, but he needed to do something new since he had been doing just that for the past few years. It's not that he's complaining because those workouts did a great job of building his body.

Zander thinks, to this day, that living in that small space was the most painful thing-well, mentally painful and the longest torture they ever did to him. all alone in that very secluded room. Just him and his thoughts (and the monsters that lived in his head). His thoughts about his failures, his negligence, his troubles, and the cherry on top, his thoughts about...

Five...

Five Hargreeves.

His best friend, who went missing back in 2002, was only 13 years old when he disappeared, and at that time, Zander was 14.

Zander didn't know that he could miss someone this much. Well, there are two others, but Zander knows where they are and that they are safe, while with five he doesn't know where he is or if he is safe or not, or if he's even alive at this point!

...

He even distinctly remembers the very day he found out that five had disappeared...

•••

It was in the first hour of the afternoon of the tenth day of November 2002. Zander was waiting

underneath an abandoned gazebo somewhere in the woods, a great distance away from his home. It's the place where both of them have always met up since they were younger, where they would always meet around 1 or 2 in the afternoon after Five finished his training/hero work with his siblings.

Today was an exciting and special day for Zander because today is the day he will finally confess his undying love for Five and bring him to the fair downtown.

Now you might be wondering why Zander wanted to take five to a fair. Well, it's because five have never been in one. Additionally, both of them have been talking about going together for years now. And that day finally came!

Zander has been saving money for the past few months for this trip. (with the help of his guardians, of course). Now all that is left to do is to wait for five to show up so that he can break the news.