Chapter 7

Venti carefully opened the window from the inside using his power and carefully slipped through the opening. Justin followed behind. Not that he had much of a choice, he wasn't the one controlling his flight. All he could do while in the air was carefully scan the area to make sure no one could see him.

Behind the window was a raised walkway on a small metal bridge that overlooked the entire interior of the hall. The metal walkway echoed hollowly as he landed on it and he winced at the volume.

The hall was plunged into darkness. Only light fell in through the many windows, illuminating the production line inside with a mixture of white and fiery red light.

Cautiously, he stepped forward to lean a little over the railing and observe the idle machines. His footsteps were far too loud for his liking and he could only hope, that they were drowned out by the other muffled sounds coming from the outside.

He looked back at Venti, whose gaze lingered on a closed part of the hall. A section where offices and other rooms were located, Justin thought. It was like a huge wall, with a bunch of windows through which one could overlook the hall. Behind all the windows was no light. Only behind those from the lowest floor could one see light and the shadows of some figures dancing behind them. Simple metal bridges were connected to each floor and could then be entered through the now closed doors. The duo was at about mid-height.

The two were currently standing on one of these bridges and were only a few meters away from the office section.

Justin looked questioningly at Venti. "Let's go...I guess?" he asked quietly and the bard nodded in confirmation.

The two crept to one of the nearby doors and ducked away under the windows. Only when they arrived next to one of the doors did Venti slightly raise his head to peek through one of them. The room behind was covered in darkness, and only roughly could they make out the outline of a large, round table with many chairs spread around it. A small kitchenette and cupboards were placed against the wall. It seemed like an empty break room.

Venti looked at the door and without hesitation reached for the doorknob and pushed it down. With a soft click, the door opened. The bard looked at Justin, who nodded and a moment later they slipped into the room. The door closed softly again behind the two.

Only here did Justin dare to stand upright again and he exhaled deeply. His heart raced and his breath quivered as he allowed himself to take a break. His gaze flitted around the dark room, to the opposite door, before he closed his eyes again and took another deep breath in and out. Venti watched his action and turned around. He gave the boy the time he needed to cool down for a moment and instead stared out of the window down at the production line.

After a minute, Justin had regained his composure. "We should get going," he said quietly, at which Venti turned to him and eyed him briefly. Then he nodded and walked with steady steps towards the door.

He opened it and stepped out into the hallway. He looked into both directions of the hallways before a gentle breeze left him. Justin noticed the faint breeze as well, but he knew it was coming from Venti and didn't worry about it. At least, he hoped he didn't have to worry about it.

"The only people in the building are at the bottom floor" Venti said and Justin exhaled in relief. Venti frowned for a moment, but he just shook his head before smiling helplessly at Justin.

"And whatever the elemental energy is coming from is also in that direction".

Justin faltered and looked at Venti with conflicted emotions. A pained grimace formed on his face.