Chapter 15

Zhongli stood with his arms crossed in front of the man still encased in amber. They were surrounded by trees. The tall canopy of leaves shielded the soft moonlight and enveloped him in darkness. The only thing that illuminated the surroundings was the slight glow emanating from the amber, coloring the area with golden light.

Suddenly his eyes lit up and cracks began to form in the amber. Slowly, the rock crumbled away before finally breaking apart completely.

The man twitched. His mouth open as he struggled to breathe frantically. His eyes wide as he somehow tried to make out his surroundings.

Suddenly, the chunks of amber he was still sitting in lit up the surroundings. His eyes fell on the figure standing a few feet away from him and he flinched again. His eyes narrowed to show his wariness, but his chest still rose and fell in an irregular rhythm.

Zhongli took a step forward. "Don't move," he said in a calm voice, stopping in front of the cowering man. "It would benefit you not to resist".

No answer. The man's breathing was the only thing that could be heard. The forest was silent.

"Now then... there are a few questions I'd like to ask" he clasped his hands behind his back, the dangerous gleam in his eyes never fading.

The man made a mocking sound. "And what makes you think that I will answer them?" he knocked the small splinters of amber from his clothes and straightened up. Even though he had to stand somewhat hunched over because of his still aching wound, he tried to look the Geo Archon straight in the face. Silently, he took a deep breath of air and swallowed.

Zhongli just watched him silently, indifferent. His aura already said it all. As long as he himself did not say it, no one would be able to leave here. And he had time. He had no problem waiting until the stranger was about to die of starvation to make him speak.

dangerous silence.

The man averted his gaze, his fists clenched.

"I could kill myself" he threatened softly.

Zhongli's expression showed no emotion. "Please do try, if you want to"

He knew that the person did not have the willpower to commit suicide. A person who was willing to take such a step had a completely different aura in this situation.

The man clicked his tongue. He himself was aware of this.

"Alright... what do you want to know?"

"Your powers... Until now, I've been told that I'm alone here and such abilities are not common for the inhabitants of this world."

Zhongli had spent a lot of time gathering information since his arrival. He had also stumbled upon the young lord, who was only too happy to grant him his wishes. The fact that the entire population was powerless and not subject to any supernatural force was made clear to him early on. He had believed this information for the time being, until this evening's meeting.

The man raised a brow.

"You don't know?" he shook his head "Well.... of course you don't know." Suddenly the stranger pointed at himself "I'm practically in the same situation as you" his finger then pointed at Zhongli "So we're not so different"

Zhongli's eyebrows drew together slightly. Like him? In the same situation? This was the first time he heard this.

"But you don't appear to hail from Teyvat".

"I don't."

The man looked directly at him. Their eyes met. The yellowish light emanating from the amber colored their faces in golden light. His features were even more prominent. The god looked only the more flawless.