cali gets kidnapped part four

Yooo, this ended up being longer than expected. I'm tired and angry but love having a creative outlet. So, thanks for reading and your kind words. This chapter is a little heavy, but hopefully not too explicit. A lot of the medical and traumatic stuff is vague, mostly because I'm no expert in either. Like I've said before, I start each story and chapter without a clear end goal, so if there's anything you'd like to see in this particular story please let me know and I'll try to incorporate it!

TW: mention of rape (not explicit), medical diagnoses/discussion, mention of prior trauma

-----

After twenty-four hours, California was moved out of the ICU and into a private room on the third floor of the hospital. Few medical staff had clearance to enter the room. It was just his main doctor, Dr. Raunk, and three nurses: Mari, Brandon, and Claire. Two FBI agents guarded the door to his room, switching every eight hours.

Having a second bed brought in had been offered to Texas. Until California was moved from the ICU, he had been awkwardly sleeping in one of the hard chairs every hospital room boasted. The private room had a sofa in it, which was way more comfortable than the wooden chair for sleeping. He didn't want the staff to bother with a second bed - it would only take up more precious space in the small hospital room.

Shortly after ten in the morning, Mari and Dr. Raunk came in. California had been given breakfast, but largely ignored it. He drank the water and had some of the yogurt, but nothing substantial.

"Good morning, California, Texas," Mari greeted with a smile. She lifted the blinds on the window, letting in the bright sunlight.

"Mornin'," Texas greeted, his eyes squinting as his eyes tried to get used to the new light source. California was silent, tracking the movements of his nurse and doctor.

"Not interested in the eggs and toast today?" Dr. Raunk asked. California stared at him blankly. The doctor sighed. "I need you to eat. If you don't, we'll have to tube-feed you."

California didn't respond. He simply watched the doctor. His heart rate did speed up, though - something easily noticed by the monitor tracking his vitals.

Mari turned to face Texas as Dr. Raunk flipped through some test results. "Maybe you can try getting him to eat?"

"I can try, ma'am," Texas promised. Mari gave him a bright smile and turned to the doctor again.

"Alright, so, I have some test results," he announced, addressing both California and Texas. "The drugs we found in your system have fully cleared up. Your minor injuries - the cuts and bruises - have fully healed. A couple of the larger injuries, such as your back and left thigh, are healing well and should just leave some scarring behind. The rape kit came back positive but there is no evidence of any STDs in your body. The related injuries are fully healed. The major injury to your spine is healing well and we should be able to get you walking in a few days. My main concern right now is your mental state. It is clear you are taking in what is said to you, but you have yet to respond in a substantial way. Simply following orders does not cut it. Your x-rays show that there was mild damage to your vocal cord recently, but has since healed. I am sending in a psychiatrist to perform a full psychological evaluation, hopefully by the end of today. In the meantime, I will lower the amount of morphine you are receiving with the goal to have you off of it tomorrow evening. Depending on the result of the psychological evaluation, we can discuss what needs to be done to discharge you."

Even though he'd been here for the past four days, Texas was shocked at all Dr. Raunk reported. To hear it all at once was something else.

"Do either of you have any questions?" Dr. Raunk wondered.