Chapter 5 : Devil's Anvil

(A/N A little bit of ambience for you)

(Y/N) POV

The sounds of agonized screaming and blaring shells surround me. The frontlines of Verdun were alive with the active combat of the Empire and the Republic as we battle around the furnace. Fire tore away at the remaining landscape and smoke blocked the sky, creating an ultra-realistic depiction of hell as the smell of cinder and brimstone. A whistle and screams of a battle charge from the imperial forces were somehow heard through the plethora of other sounds before I grab hold of the machine gun in front of me and the slow chugging begins as the charge was cut down with the help of the numerous other machine guns.

Jaune : These Jerry's just keep on coming!

Jaune on my right continued to fire his Lebel Model 1886 at any advancing forces he could find. I take a quick glance at him crouching down to reload his gun, and then glance to my left to see Louis pulling a pin from a grenade.

Louis : This is Verdun you imbecile, we both know why they're so determined to take this city! They've already taken Arene from us, another major city and the Republic's morale will be thrown and stomped into the mud!

Louis proceeds to throw the grenade. It lands over a small bump in the land that I couldn't see over, a body is thrown over it which proves a kill for Louis.

Louis : So we'll stand here, and fight them off!

The machine gun in my hands continued to fire burst after burst as the opposing charge begins to bog down. Men in the trenches began to bunch up to start a counter-offensive, until an explosion in front of the trenches kills off a lot of the increasing force. As the smoke cleared, I look up to see some of my most hated things in this world.

Me : *mutters* Fucking mages.

I kick at the wooden support beneath the gun until it breaks, making it possible to aim at the bastards in the sky.

Me : Eat shit you scum!

I begin to fire at the mage company. Although only gaining a couple kills, due to the small size of the company they fled the battlefield. I then whip up a quick replacement for the wooden supports I had just broke and begin to fire at the opposing charge to hopefully slow it down once more, since the mages were able to give the charge some traction. A few men fire flares to guide the artillery, and after a while a small barrage appears. It only lasts for about a minute or two, but it completely halted the advancing attackers. Then the officer arrived.

Officer : Alright men, we need as many men as we can muster for a counter-attack so be ready.

And as the order was given, the soldiers followed it. They gathered weapons, ammunition, grenades and other gadgets that would assist in punching a hole in the enemy lines. I turn to see Jaune and Louis scrounging up their Lebel rifles and I follow suite, until the officer puts his hand in front of me.

Officer : Not you, we still need someone to man the MG. You'll be staying here to defend.

I look him in his solemn face.

Me : But sir, I've always been assigned with the Moulin's. Surely this shouldn't be an exception.

Officer : That is an order, son. As I said we still need someone to man the MG, and I would hate to send a child to their possible death.

Me : Then get someone else to man the gun. I can-

Officer : Aren't you the one that always goes on about "good soldiers follow orders". Follow your own advice before giving it to others. Man the gun.