13

"So I subtract this number from that number and then bring it down?" Jas pointed to a problem in her math workbook.

"You got it," Shane confirmed as she filled in the sheet. Together they sat at the kitchen table, an assortment of worksheets spread out in front of them. 

"Then what do you do with the digit next to it?" He asked. Thank Yoba that Marnie already tackled the English homework earlier that day because that wasn't his strong suit at all.

"Bring it down and repeat." Jas dutifully responded, earning a nod of approval from Shane. She filled in the problem and handed it to him for him to check it over.

"...Uncle Shane? Can I ask you a question?"

"Shoot."

"Do you like Miss Aria?" She asked quietly, doodling a little heart onto the loose leaf paper she'd been practicing her problems on. He glanced up from the paper to look at her, who had a giant grin on her face.

"You and Marnie like her too, don't you?" He teased, avoiding the question. Jas furrowed her brows, obviously knowing what Shane was doing.

"Yeah, but not like a girlfriend! Just regular like. You girlfriend like her." She pried, grabbing the paper out of his hand to look at her. When she wanted information, she certainly would do her damndest to fish it out by any means possible. From the corner of his eye, he could see Marnie's head turn at the mention of girlfriend liking Aria.

"Maybe I do." He admitted, finding no point in steering away from the topic when it was obvious.

"I knew it! Just don't kiss her around me 'cause that's gross. Now can you check my work so I can go outside and play?"

Once Jas' homework was checked and everything was said and done, Shane pocketed his wallet and headed towards the door with the intent of picking up the bouquet and sealing the deal. Marnie perked up from the sales counter.

"While you're out can you pick me up some of that low-fat Joja yogurt you know I like? I'll pay you back."

"Oh, I'm uh. Actually going to Pierre's," Shane stated, scratching the back of his neck. He knew that Marnie knew he would always opt for Joja over Pierre's because of the prices, and that there was only one reason for him to go there. "I can pick some up tomorrow after my shift." Marnie grinned knowingly.

"So you're finally doing it, huh? I'm proud of you! I kinda figured you two would end up getting together. Once you told me about the chicken coop, I knew it. That's how me and Lewis started too," She rambled. Shane rolled his eyes at the mention of the Mayor. But nothing could shake his inner excitement to finally ask Aria to be his.

"Only, he won't actually put a label on it," Marnie grumbled, scrawling something down on her ledger.

"Anyways, I'm glad you've got the balls to take it to the next level with Aria. Good luck, Shanie."

The closer he got to Pierre's, the more he questioned if he actually did have the balls to take it to the next level. There was no doubt in his mind that Aria was the one for him. She was always his first thought when he left for work. The doubt was instead rooted in his own insecurities and self proclaimed shortcomings.

What if he couldn't make her happy? What if she doesn't want to be seen with him because he's just old and pathetic and jaded? He couldn't even bear to look at himself in a mirror half the time without feeling disgusted.

"That'll be a hundred gold," Pierre's smug voice snapped him out of his trance of self-deprecation. "Usually a bouquet would run you two, but consider it an act of kindness in the name of love."