MINI CHAPTER IMPORTANT (kind of)

Hey, it's your author here! I'm just beginning the story so I'm really hoping to get some help from my reader, yall are my lifeline and I want to know what you all want to see. anything about my writing I need to change.

The cold Detroit, bordering Canada air was nothing more of a comfort now that I was so close to the ones I cared for, the feeling of tv static built in my chest. Cautiously I walk to the water, kneeling and putting my fingers in. "I better not fall in," I shake my fingers over the water. Rose hands the man helping us an envelope, mumbling something about money I can't help but feel guilty. When she noticed my string rose smiled sadly, running to her and hugging her she moved her hand along my back, she was such a wonderful woman. "I hate to leave you out there, I wish I could come with you." She frowns. "Don't worry Rose, we'll be alright. I'll meet Luther and Kara on the other side." I said smiling, really only to make her feel better. "I'm gonna say goodbye to adam, I can't thank you enough rose." I hugged her once more and left to the edgy-looking teen leaning against his car. Before I could even begin he uncrossed his arms, clearing his throat, "I didn't get it at first, I didn't understand why my mom wanted to help you guys. But at the train station, when you let Kara and the little girl go on the train with Luther," He looked away for a second "Then I understood, you are alive." Smiling, I hugged him "Thank you, adam. Take care of yourself okay?" he nodded and half-smiled. Turning to Rose I could see her eyes tearing up. Patting her arm I walked over to the boats. There was a singular boat and one with four others. Nodding in greeting I stepped into the boat. The coyote yelled from the bank, "Don't turn on the engine till you're far out enough! Coast guard is likely patrolling!" He waved us off. Rowing out into the freezing Detroit river I had jumped into a few hours ago. A couple held each other as I and another android row.

Anticipation builds as we start the motor, approaching the Canadian grounds, approaching eternal freedom, approaching the place where I can love without contraception. Puttering along the river a chilling mist sprays those of us sitting on the edge of the boat. Screaming breaks the anxious surface as lights flash. Seeing my options I quickly dive into the river, something I was cautious of only minutes before. Yelling for the others too as well it's too late, watching them stand with their arms up in surrender two of them flip backward off the boat, next to me. My heart sank. Knowing that the boat would have bullet holes. Once the lights dimmed I pulled myself up, another android grabbing my hand, like the hand of hope at the scrapyard.

"Thank you," I looked the android up and down, she was an AP700 female. She had dark skin, which glimmered slightly in the Michigan night. She had monolided eyes and curled eyelashes. Looking down I couldn't help but widen my eyes,

"Holy shit- are you." before I could respond she looked down at the bullet hole right in the center of her stomach. Her pump regulator turned red and her face returned to neutral. I back away, looking down I could see the water pooling at my feet, "Shit shit shit!" I hop onto a seat, pulling the remaining androids into the water, looking through the supply box before throwing it the boat continues to sink, and not more than 50 feet from the shore I dive.

"I have to see Luther again." The cold water tings my arms and legs, this time instead of letting myself sink I push myself more than ever. The fire fighting the freezing water, screaming to put me out. It felt as though thousands of the dead, the ones like the AP700 or the androids being shot at the border were cheering me on. I can't even see the warnings, too determined I create a splash as I fall on my hands and knees, creating a mush of snow below me. Noticing the absence of my backpack I was relieved I had given it to Luther, turning back. To see if the boat or the bag on it was salvageable I frowned, walking away from the bay, towards the Toronto highway