PROLOGUE

THIRTEEN YEARS AGO

Location: Oscorp Industries, Tokyo

For years, Oscorp Industries has strived to do its best to serve the people of the nation and the world through the advancement of technology and discovering scientific breakthroughs that could revolutionize the way of the world as we know it.

Led by the brilliant mind of Oscorp Industries' founder and CEO, Makoto Osana, they have stayed true to their mission and are well-known across the country for making ways to remedy the most seemingly difficult situations and ensure the safety and convenience of the population.

Osana instantly became a celebrity and was praised by everyone for his brilliance and his undying motivation to help others.

Oscorp was at its peak.

Until...

January 15th of 2009, Oscorp was working on developing a serum that, theoretically, would cure cancer.

Today, Osana is in the lab with some of his fellow scientists to run a few tests on the serum.

MAKOTO'S POV

Scientist 1: Serum is in place, Sir. We can begin testing soon.

Makoto: Alright. Run a brief diagnostic, make sure everything's in check before we get this thing up and running.

Scientist 1: Yes, Sir, right away.

Today is a big day for Oscorp.

After years of neverending research and countless sleepless nights, we might actually be on the verge of making our biggest breakthrough yet.

I look into the lab's chamber where a small vial is kept inside a machine built to eject the substance contained inside the vial in a fixed direction.

And a lab rat for testing.

Within that vial... lies the cure to one of the world's oldest incurable diseases.

A minimized amount of concentrated gamma radiation, kept within a small container. However, albeit being a reduced amount, should even a single tenth of that radiation escape and make contact with any living organism, if it's too much for them to handle, it could kill them instantly.

And even if it doesn't, who knows what it'll do...

What more for when the whole amount gets out? The outcome could be catastrophic.

Gamma radiation is known to be capable of eliminating nearly any living cell, so it most certainly isn't something you should simply play around with.

However, with the right equipment and the proper procedure performed, we could save millions of lives.

End the suffering of so many.

That is why I've dedicated myself to making sure this project is a success. I've poured my blood, sweat, and tears into this. I won't turn back now.

...

Scientist 1: Serum is stable. All systems are functional. We're ready to go, Sir.

I pause, seizing the moment. I've been awaiting this moment for a while now.

And it's finally here.

I turn to the scientist beside me and nod.

Makoto: Fire her up.

He hits a button, which activates the machine, and begins typing away at the computer.

Scientist 1: Booting up now...