CHAPTER 3: Fangs of Change

...

"Hiro..."

...

I'm having that dream again.

"Hiro..."

The same voice I hear in every dream.

"Hiro..."

The voice that--

"HIRO!"

!!!

My eyes shoot open as the voice suddenly becomes louder and more annoyed-sounding.

I soon realize that the voice belonged to Tsugumi. She was going through my closet again, and I could hear my alarm clock ringing constantly.

Tsugumi: Darn it, Hiro, wake up! You're gonna be late!

She says in a frantic and frustrated tone as she skims through my closet, presumably looking for clothes again.

Tsugumi: Of all the times to be drinking espresso late...

She sighs, exasperated.

I check my clock.

...

I sigh.

Hiro: Tsugumi, it's 6:15 AM... School doesn't start in another two hours... What am I late for?

I say, lying back down and shutting my eyes, trying to go back to sleep.

Tsugumi: Your field trip, you dummy! Did you forget?? The bus leaves in fifteen minutes!

...

Field trip?...

...

Then it hits me.

Hiro: CRAP--!

I jolt up in a panic.

Tsugumi: Here, put these on!

Just as I'm about to get out of bed, something is thrown over my face, which obstructs my vision, causing me to fall down.

Hiro: GAH--!

*THUD!*

Tsugumi: And your glasses!

She tosses them my direction.

*CLACK!*

Hiro: Uuuu...

After getting semi-ready, I rush down the stairs as I struggle to put my jacket on, my backpack in my other hand.

Yua: Hiro, you're running late! You went for a round of coffee again last night, didn't y--

Hiro: Morning, Yua-san, sorry, gotta go, love you!

I swiftly give her a kiss on the cheek and begin rushing towards the door.

Yua: Oh-- O-Okay, do you ha--

Hiro: Got everything with me, lunch, money, first-aid kit, spare key--

Hayato: Woah, woah, slow down, kiddo.

Hayato-san chuckles as he steps into the room.

Hayato: You're forgetting one more thing.

Hiro: What?

I stop and turn around, trying to recall what else I haven't packed. Hayato-san walks up to me and places a hand on my shoulder.

Hayato: Have fun.

He smiles at me.

I smile back and nod.

Hiro: I will.