CHAPTER FIVE

chapter five - heroes
pairing : Dwayne Hoover x gn!reader
warnings : swearing
word count : 698
a/n :  i recommend listening to Heroes by David Bowie when it mentions the song :)

🌻

    After successfully getting Edwin out of the hospital and into the trunk, you and the Hoover's hit the road again.

It was silent in the van, everyone mourning for Edwin. Though you didn't know him that well, from the few hours you have spent with him and occasional meetings before, you would say that you would miss him being there.

"Dad?" Olive broke the silence.

"Yeah honey?"

"What's gonna happen to Grandpa?"

Richard didn't know how to answer her question, no one did. So he chose to just ignore it for now.

"Uncle Frank?" "Yeah?" "Do you think there's a heaven?" "That's hard to say Olive, I don't think anyone knows for sure."

You didn't want to listen to the conversation, after having it before with your parents. So you grabbed your iPod off the seat and put on a song.

Now playing...Heroes - David Bowie

Closing your eyes, you leaned your head on Dwayne's shoulder, you wanted to forget about everything and everyone, except Dwayne.

I, I wish you could swim
Like the dolphins, like dolphins can swim
Though nothing, nothing will keep us together
We can beat them, for ever and ever
Oh we can be Heroes, just for one day

Dwayne noticed you looked tired, so he let you rest on him, putting his hand on your head, patting at your hair softly.

I, I will be king
And you, you will be queen
Though nothing will drive them away
We can be Heroes, just for one day
We can be us, just for one day

I, I can remember (I remember)
Standing, by the wall (by the wall)
And the guns shot above our heads (over our heads)
And we kissed, as though nothing could fall (nothing could fall)
And the shame was on the other side
Oh we can beat them, for ever and ever
Then we could be Heroes, just for one day

We can be Heroes
We can be Heroes
We can be Heroes, just for one day
We can be Heroes

We're nothing, and nothing will help us
Maybe we're lying, then you better not stay
But we could be safer, just for one day

Oh-oh-oh-ohh, oh-oh-oh-ohh,
Just for one day

🌻

A few hours had passed of driving, with you asleep on Dwayne's shoulder, and Sheryl rubbing Richard's arm in comfort.

A car had drove in front of the van, causing Richard to slam the horn in irritation.

"Woah! Hey! Son of a bitch!"

"What happened?" Frank asked in concern.

"He-He cut me off."

Dwayne's head was leant against the window, he shut his eyes in annoyance.

Richard paused, looking at the wheel in confusion. The horn wouldn't stop honking.

"It's stuck." "Okay, just leave it." "It's stuck or something."

Sheryl and Richard continued to go back and forth, waking you up. You rubbed your eyes and yawned as you lifted yourself from the teenage boy beside you.

The horn still wouldn't stop honking, which caused you to be pulled over by a police officer.

"What's going on?" You asked anyone who was listening. Dwayne just shrugged, no one knew what was going on.

"Okay, everybody just pretend to be normal, okay? Like-like everything's normal here!"

Dwayne looked back at the police officer walking towards them, then looking back and looking at Richard in irritation.

The officer walked up to the driver's window, tapping on it. "How you folks doin'?" He greeted you all politeley.

"Yeah. Yeah, yeah, we're fine, just-" He gestured to the wheel.

"Little trouble with the horn?" The officer asked.

"Sorry, what?"

"Havin' a little trouble with your horn?" The officer repeated.

"Yeah. Little trouble, sorry. Uh, sorry."

The horn continued to beep as Richard answered the officer's questions.

The officer told Richard to step out of the vehicle. He then went and opened the trunk, Richard warning him not to making you all look more suspicious.

You didn't know what the officer found in there to make Richard go and look too, you just hoped to god it wasn't Edwin's body.

The police man had let you all go. Richard walked back to the driver's seat, eyeing Frank as he passed. He told Dwayne and Frank to get out and push the van. You didn't want to leave them by themselves to do it, but they needed someone to pull them in

end of chapter five.