prolouge

valentina hart has lived on figure eight for her entire life. she was 16, and didn't need to work for anything. people say she had everything handed to her, and she couldn't deny this.

she was a member of the country club, and spent her days with the kooks. she often spends time with her best friend, sarah cameron. sarah and valentina had been friends since birth, considering sarah's father worked closely with hers.

her father, richard hart, is a wealthy businessman. he owns hart developments, a successful construction company. her father had always been focused on work, and didn't spend much time around valentina, or her older brother josh.

her mother, claire hart, owns a clothing shop on the mainland. this meant she was also away from home often. she tried her best to bond with her kids, but valentina never grew too close with her.

valentina grew up alongside her brother, who was often left to watch her on his own. this lead to her being extremely independent. josh had moved out a few years back after he accepted a scholarship to the university of california. this meant he hardly visited.

most days valentina was home by herself, so she spent a lot of time at sarah's house. the cameron's considered her part of their family, since she was around so often. well, most of the cameron's considered her family.

valentina had grown close with sarah's brother rafe, who was two years older than her. they had a tight friendship during middle school, but things went downhill a few years later.

rafe had started ignoring her when he turned 17, and soon after shut her out completly. she never learned the reason behind this, but tried to hate him to numb the pain. after almost 8 months, rafe stopped ignoring the girl and resorted to annoying and making fun of her.

rafe is 18 years old, and struggling with a cocaine addiction. he has an aggressive personality and a short temper, which made valentina had always ignored. she never realized how he really was until their friendship ended.

she often saw rafe at parties, or when she was hanging out with their shared friends, topper and kelce. he normally made snarky comments about her, or ignored her presence all together. this angered her and caused rafe to want to piss her off even more. most people on the island saw them as enemies, but they were far from that.

valentina never really cared what people thought about her, but she has always cared about what rafe said about her. she often sent rude comments back to him during their arguments, but never forgot what he had previously said about her.

she hated herself for caring about what he thought of her, but she couldn't help it. someone who was once her everything, was now nothing to her.

now, most of the kooks hated the pouges, but valentina never had a problem with them, but she had never really got to know them either, so that may be why she didn't really form an opinion on them. the only pouge she was close with was jj maybank, and she only hung out with the rest of them when he was around

she had previously hung out with kiara carrera, but they became distant friends after her falling out with sarah. this was partially valentina's fault, since she had chose sarah over kie.

she didn't really have many close friends left, since she constantly pushed people away. she had always thought that was what rafe did to her, but couldn't help but feel like she did something wrong. her only close friends were topper, kelce, and sarah. even though everyone knew who she was, no one was her friend. this hurt the girl a little, but she brushed it off.

deep down, she had always wanted to be a pouge. she admired their care-free lifestyle and how they always were having fun. now, she wasn't ungrateful for what she had, but she had always wanted to have more people to support her.

valentina was seen as the perfect girl, but inside, she was crumbling under the pressure to appear like she was to everyone.