Chapter 1- Off to Distant Lands

Marcelines P.O.V.

I felt frozen once Finn and I arrived at the old torn apart city.  I had spent so many days wandering these streets as a kid.  Spending hours just walking around.  I felt so alone, that was until Simon showed up.  Simon made everything so much easier.  He was funny and he took care of me, the first time he found me he rushed over to me with a stuffed animal while I was crying.  Him and I were inseparable, after he left I felt so alone.  I spent all my time just trying to get by and hunting Vampires. 

Being back here after so long was like getting slapped in the face with all of those emotions all over again.  Finn made it easier though, he held my hand and told me "Well go through this together.", It was good to know I wasn't alone going into the city.  

Finn and I walked around the city for quite a while, the buildings were being overgrown with plants and little animals were running around the streets, not terribly different from when I was here.  

"Man this place is crazy, this is what the world looked like before the Mushroom War?"  Finn said to me. 

"Yep, this was it.  I dont remember much from before it was destroyed, My mom and I had our own little van we sat in near the desert."  I said eyes focused ahead of me. "

"How long were you and Simon stuck here after the war?"  Finn said slowing down his pace. 

"Im not sure, at least a couple years, I was about 7 when Simon found me, and we walked around together for a long time before he left.  Pretty long time to be looking around at nothing huh?"  I said chuckling at Finn, trying to keep the conversation light.  

Finn looked at me with a little grin and led me to sit down at a nearby curb.  Finn and I had been walking for hours so It was good to sit for a moment.  The sun was setting behind some of the still standing buildings and it looked oddly beautiful.  I fully relaxed for a moment as I laid my head on Finn's shoulder.  

"You know you're making this easy for me right hero?"  I said with my eyes closed. 

"Really?  I have no idea what to do in this city you're the one who knows what to do and where to go."  Finn said higher pitched than usual.  

I could tell he was blushing. 

"Of course dummy, this was my home when all of OOO was going bananas, coming back here after so long is bound to bring up some junk."  I said smiling at him.  

Finn smiled back and nodded as he kissed my forehead and laid his head softly on top of mine.  I felt myself nodding off, I never thought id feel this comfortable and safe in this city without Simon, but I knew we couldn't just sleep out in the open, we don't know what is out here.  I get myself up and grab Finn's hand and take him up to the top floor of one of the buildings.  It was a bit colder up here but definitely more safe.  Finn and I sat up against one of the walls and got ourselves comfortable.  Finn grabbed his backpack and pulled out a huge quilt.  

"Of course the Hero of OOO aaaaalllwayyys prepared."  I said teasing him 

"Hey you never know when you'll be freezing with no where to sleep, even cold blooded beings like you."  He said with a grin

I gave him a tiny headbutt as we both laughed and snuggled up next to each other.  Not too long after that I felt his breathing slow, I look up and see hes out like a light.  I smile at him and give him a tiny kiss on the cheek so I wont wake him as I lay my head back on his shoulder.  Soon after that, I felt myself drift off into sleep.