9

in the second class after lunch, mike was bouncing his leg while in his seat.

mrs. white wrote some problems on the whiteboard. "any volunteers-" she was cut off by the classroom phone ringing.

"i can answer it!" someone eagerly said.

"johnny, sit down!" she rushed over to the phone. "this is mrs. white. yes, he's here." she glances over in mike's direction.

mike's heart started beating rapidly.

shit, shit, shit.

mrs. white placed the telephone back. mike saw her walking towards him and he crossed his fingers and looked down.

mike looked up when he no longer heard the clicks of mrs. white's high heels. he saw her whispering to the student in front of him. the only words he could make out were "talk to you" and "grab your stuff."

mike let out a sigh of relief and ran a hand through his hair.

"so, any volunteers?" mrs. white put her hands on her hips and frowned. "or should i pull sticks?"

"since when do you pull sticks?" courtney asked.

"courtney is our first volunteer! come on up courtney. you get problem one."

mike couldn't help but snicker at jane's friend.

-

"holy shit. uh..." the guy with luxurious hair looked around the bathroom. he leaned down in front of will. "you awake?" he waved his hand in front of will's face. "do something, steve!" he said to himself. he picked will up and headed towards the nurse's office.

"don't tell me that's will by- oh my god!" the nurse was taken aback.

"i um- i found him like this in the bathroom. i swear to god i did not do any of this."

-

"i hope we didn't upset will. like, i know he can be sensitive sometimes and-"

"lucas, you and will are best friends. he knows you're just looking out for him and trying not to upset him."

lucas leaned against his locker and took a deep breath. "you're right."

-

"no, no, no. we are going to the hospital to make sure nothing's broken." joyce slightly put more pressure on the gas pedal.

will remembered bits of what happened but he tried his best to block those memories out. he just wanted to lie down and sleep. for how long? who knows?

will put his face in his hands and instantly regretted it. "ouch, shi- shoot."

-

"so," jonathan stabbed his spinach with his fork. "you get into a fight?"

joyce hit his shoulder, "jonathan."

he laughed, "what?"

joyce leaned over to jonathan and whispered something. his happy expression turned to a confused and angry one.

"who the fuck did that to you?"

"language! i want to give will time to tell me who did this. don't push him."

joyce and jonathan kept going back and forth.

will knew if he wanted to get over mike, the first step would be to speak up and have him face the consequences for what he's been doing to will. before will could even think about what he was going to say, his lips just started moving.