Chapter 1- Welcome to Hawkins

Sandra Patterson

"Sand-"

"Sandra!"

"Are you even listening to me?" My mum asked in an annoyed tone. I just ignored her and looked out of my window. "You can't be mad at me forever you know." She carried on. "We needed a fresh start."

Still I kept my eyes fixed on the area around me. I had been silent the whole journey ever since we left California and our home behind. I had just been listening to my music 'on repeat' the whole time.

Suddenly, I heard a giggle and my music stopped. I turned my gaze from the window towards my brother who was sitting in the seat next to me.

"Oi give them back you little sh*t!" I shouted, reaching for my headphones. 

"Language!!" Mother said sternly.

"Ughhhh." I groaned. "Why do we have to move to this stupid town anyway!?! I heard it's cursed or something." 

"Sandra!! Don't say that, you could scare your brother!!" Mom replied.

"Ughhh, he's litrally 10 he's not a baby anymore!!" I remarked.

"Yeah  mom, i'm 10 not a baby!!" My brother (Frankie) replied in  an annoyed tone. "Look at where you dragged us mom!"

After a while of silence i grabbed my headphones back out of my brothers hands and put them on. I then pressed play on my tape player (IDK WHAT THEY ARE CALLED) and my music began.

Oh how much I loved Kate Bush. With her song 'Running up that Hill' playing I was able to drown out any other sounds that might be heard from the other cars around us.

    *       *      *       *       *        *      *       *       *       *    

By the time we had finally arrived at our new house in Hawkins it had become dark. The only source of power was coming from the occasional street light here and there.

We pulled up in the driveway and then mom got out the car.

I had to admit that the house wasn't too bad. But, of course I wasn't going to tell my mom that.

I slowly unbuckled my seat belt and opened the car door. I took out my rucksack and slammed the door shut behind me.

"Aren't you going to get your boxes for your room out of the boot?" Mom asked as I started walking towards the house.

"I'll get them in the morning, i'm tired now." I replied rolling my eyes.

I swear I could hear her mutter "Teenagers" as I carried on walking. I just shrugged it off.

As soon as I stepped into the house Frankie came running up to me.

"I baggsy the biggest room!!" He shouted in my face.

"Just shush, you freak. You'll wake up the neighbours." I hissed back at him.

"Why are you so mean?" He replied.

"Because your so annoying." I remarked. "Now please just let me go to bed, you have school in the morning."

With that I stomped off upstairs and walked into the first room I saw.

Luckily, none of Frankie's things were in there so I knew that I was able to occupy it. 

I dumped my bag on the ground and fell onto my rusty, but soft, new bed.

Today had been a very long day and all I wanted was to go to sleep.

I took of my shoes and chucked them across the room.

Then I shut my eyes.