«0» whispers of fate

—————۵—————

June 17, 2021

—————۵—————

Sixteen year old Yaseerah Abdul-Aziz had never felt such trepidation in her entire life as she did in this moment, as she meticulously applied the final strokes of makeup to her face.

Her delicate features, accented by a hint of blush on her cheeks, are illuminated by the soft, golden glow of the room's lights.

As she concentrated on perfecting her look, her expression carried a sense of serene determination, embodying the air of haughty arrogance she'd perfected.

Her obsidian locks had been brushed and braided into tiny cornrows, and pulled back into a low bun. And even though she knew her guest wasn't allowed to see it, she had taken great measures in taking care of her hair tonight.

Yaseerah knew that she probably shouldn't have gone through the trouble of making herself presentable, if she wanted the scales to tip in her favor, but makeup was her armor, and she was sure to use her full scale armor, to win this battle she was about to embark on.

There was no telling what would happen tonight, whether she was going to emerge victorious or not, but she had to try, for her sake, for Bilal, and for Mamu.

Rejecting the proposal was out of the question. After all, she still bore the physical reminders of the last proposal she had sabotaged.

Tonight though, she had to come up with a clever idea to secure her future, and that of the ones she held dear to her heart.

Should she fail in her quest, she knew that dire consequences awaited them.

Positive thoughts, Yas! Positive thoughts only! 

The sharp edges of her nails bit into her palm, opening up the healing tissues again, but she made no attempt to acknowledge the blood seeping through the creases of her palm and fingers, staining her white vanity table red.

Instead, she reveled in the pain, as a reminder of what awaited her.

The pain grounded her. And for once, since she started dolling herself up, her mind began to clear up.

A soft knock sounded on the door of her bedroom's balcony–three soft rap-rap sounds to indicate who was there–making her lips tilt up into a smile, the first real one since she had woken up today, and she was once again reminded of why she had to win the battle tonight.

Her body relaxed as she crossed the room in two strides, and flung the windows open to allow her night visitor entry.

"You look beautiful tonight," he stated in leiu of greeting, as he moved into the bedroom, slumping down hard on her mattress.

"I'll be offended if you didn't think I did," she uttered primly, as she closed the windows behind him and walked back into her room, her bare feet sinking into the plush carpet of her bedroom.

Though he avoided her gaze, she could have sworn that his eyes were misted with unshed tears, which broke her heart all the more, yet fortified her resolve to see this through.