Chapter: Six

Fàidh woke to the sound of crackling, and from the view of what could only be stone, he figured that he was inside of a cave. The crackling came from the fire that was a little ways off to his left. From what he could sense, he was alone, though Anfeth wasn't too far off. He was close enough to come if beckoned. Fàidh sighed to himself, knowing that he wasn't able to move. Not that he was too weak; he wasn't allowed to. He was sure that Anfeth would have his hide if he dared to even lift a single finger on his own.

He heard his horse whinny from outside in agreement and he laughed. He had only himself to blame for this. He had pushed himself too far. Even the wondrous Seer had his limits. Now he lay in waiting for his friend to return, listening to the fire pop as he stared up at the gray stone of the cave walls. His mind started to wander, wondering just exactly how long he had been unconscious. Was it only hours? Or had he been out for days?

"Just overnight."

Anfeth answered his thoughts and Fàidh turned his head to find his friend walking in. It also gave him the chance to find that it was indeed morning, so he had in fact been asleep only for the night. That he was glad for. Anfeth walked closer, carrying with him more wood for the fire and a pheasant that would serve for their breakfast. As Anfeth began to rest both the kindling and the pheasant down, Fàidh managed a weak smile in greeting. All he was given in return was a frown. He turned his eyes away back to the cave walls, distracting himself from the gaze that was on him. Anfeth watched the Seer avoid his eyes and he tried not to react. He took to taking care of him instead. He had a pot of tea brewing and he made himself busy pouring it into a cup for his friend.

"Tea?" Fàidh asked.

Anfeth paused to look up at his friend with an arched eyebrow. He quelled the man's anxiety with a nod and then raised a small satchel so that Fàidh could see it.

"And primrose," the man said rather deflated, knowing exactly the contents without having to look inside.

It seemed as if Anfeth had plans of making him go back to sleep, when sleep was the last thing on Fàidh's mind. Walking to the man's side, Anfeth lowered himself to his knees. The tea rested on the ground and the satchel followed it. He then took to helping the weakened seer up into a sitting position. The cup was then gently, yet forcefully, pushed into his hands, Anfeth waiting patiently. It seemed as if he would only speak to him if Fàidh drank the tea and the Seer knew that if he wanted to know anything at all, he had to drink it. Obediently he did as Anfeth wanted and he grimaced at the taste.

"Here," the wind god offered, adding honey, "This should help."

Fàidh murmured his thanks and drank the tea much more satisfied with its taste. It was still awful, though now it was manageable. He was however now aware that it was not ordinary tea. Anfeth had given him a sedative brewed from prickly lettuce. It would help him sleep, if he had wanted to sleep to begin with. Though as he had figured, Anfeth was set on him resting.

"Here eat these," Anfeth gently ordered, "They will ease the headache that I'm sure you have and prevent you from going into shock."

Fàidh looked down at the contents of the satchel and he took the leaves that were handed to him. Unlike the tea, the flavor was acceptable, so he ate them without argument. That seemed to please the wind deity and he finally returned the smile that he was greeted with earlier.

"How long will we be here?" Fàidh asked, slowly chewing.

He was sure that Anfeth had more primrose at hand and he didn't feel like eating much. Anfeth only shrugged in answer to the question, his hands now busy with a bowl that sat beside him.