Dos

"So..." Carlos looked at Eleanor with a questionable look. "Correct me if I'm wrong, though." He put off his sunglasses. "You're here to renovate a house you inherited from your grandmother?" Carlos summoned Eleanor's story, making sure he got it right. "That isn't the grandmother who recommended you this book, right?" He pointed at The Secret History.

Eleanor looked at it. "No, this is from my other grandmother. We do have contact with each other. And yup, that's the story," she said and showed a small smile.

"Wow, that's some kind of a story," he said impressively. "I'm sorry for your loss. For how long have you been here now?"

"Thanks. And three months now," she answered his question.

He nodded. "How is it going?"

Eleanor nodded and deeply breathed in; how was it going? Her lips parted, ready to say something. However, someone interrupted her.

"Is there something I can get you?"

Carlos looked at the person behind Eleanor and then back at Eleanor. It would be rude if he stayed without her permission. "Do you mind if I stick around for a bit longer?"

"No, of course not," Eleanor smiled.

"What do you want?"

Eleanor looked at the waiter, Maria finished her shift an hour ago. "Can I get an iced coffee, please?"

The waiter nodded and looked at Carlos. "For me as well, please."

"Yes, coming right up."

"Thank you," Eleanor and Carlos said at the same time. They looked at each other, and both smiled.

"But to return to your question, it's going alright..." She showed a careful smile, like she was doubting.

Carlos softly smirked. "That doesn't sound too convincing."

"Yeah, you know, in the beginning, I was like: cool, I will renovate it myself, it looks cool on The Block. And now I'm like: what have I started? But I'm gonna finish what I have started." Eleanor bit her lip.

"You're doing it on your own?"

"Together with my dad and some builders. I don't want to be rude, but the Spanish people and builders... It's... let's say, different than what I'm usually used to. No offence."

"Like?" Carlos was curious now.

"In the Netherlands, when people start to make plans for a renovating or something else, they stick to it. They literally start to panic when something is delayed by one hour. Everything goes to schedule. And my experience so far here in Spain is whether the builders show up, or not. Or when they show up, you don't know when. But they do deliver good work, though. That's my experience so far. I'm sure it can go well as well."

It made him laugh. "I think I get your point. Where is it, if I may ask?"

Eleanor grabbed her phone and opened the photo app. "Just outside of the city. I don't know if you know it, but..." She showed some photos and explained the neighbourhood, not really knowing what places she could refer to since this was still an unknown area to her.

"Ah, I know where it is. A couple of friends live here, it's a beautiful neighbourhood," Carlos replied and looked at the photos. "I remember this house. It looks amazing on the outside." He looked up at her.

"Until you see the inside," she snorted. "It's so outdated, and everything needs to get replaced. But it's a challenge, a good one."

"And an adventure. But I must admit, it always looks more beautiful than it actually is. It is odd when everything goes right in one go."