Veinte

The same evening, Eleanor was waiting for the train. A loud gasp left het mouth when someone kicked her knee from behind, making her almost fall to the ground. An annoyed look came on her face and she looked behind her, which stupid idiot would do this? Well, this is Amsterdam Central Station, what else could I expect? She looked around her on the platform and other passengers also looked at her, noticing the moment.

"I'm sorry," Bibi said and covered her mouth with her hand to hide her laugh.

"You fucking moron," Eleanor said and sighed.

"I didn't mean to scare you this much."

Eleanor shook her head. "What are you doing here?"

"Picking up my stuff from the office because I officially quit," Bibi relievedly said. "I had to see them in person, so I had to go back to the Netherlands."

"When did you get here?"

"Yesterday morning," Bibi replied. "But I thought you would be back in Spain by now?" She looked at the information board. "Five minutes delay," she breathed.

Eleanor looked at the board as well and sighed. "Of course," she mumbled. "But yeah, we were supposed to go back three weeks ago, but I got asked to cover up someone at work and my dad had the same. So we're kinda back to business here. Never thought I wouldn't mind being back here," she explained.

"Oh," Bibi lipped. "That's...unexpected."

"But I still have no idea if I will sign my new contract, though. It honestly feels like I had a break from my big love, and coming back is fine, but now we're back together, it feels meh again. Like we need another break. Or even call it quits." She looked around at the train station; the place was filled with people. "It's a sign, so yeah. But where are you going?"

Bibi nodded and looked at the rails. "Yeah, it's a sign. Anyway, I'm going to my parents in Amersfoort, but something happened between Amsterdam and Hilversum, so I have to go to Utrecht to get on the train to Amersfoort," she explained. "God, not even back for a day and it's already drama with the public transport. And it's so fucking expensive."

"Welcome back to the Netherlands," Eleanor welcomed Bibi back.

The yellow and blue coloured train arrived after ten more minutes of delay. The platform was filled with people now. Everybody looked unamused and annoyed. Bibi and Eleanor stepped into the train and were standing in the small hall between a lot of people. Eleanor looked at Bibi and looked annoyed.

The train manager entered the train at their part of the train and closed the doors. He turned around. "Meissie," Kees smiled at Eleanor. He looked around him. "In the back of the train is enough space left," he mentioned to everyone. He made eye contact with Eleanor again and signed she had to follow him.

Eleanor grabbed Bibi's hand and pulled her with her. They were moving through the train, ending up in the first class (which was almost empty).

"Oh, hello, Bibi. I didn't see you between all those people," Kees mentioned and smiled. "Have a seat," he said and looked then at Eleanor. "How are you?"

"Alright, it's getting better," Eleanor weakly smiled. "How about you?"

"Happy that Utrecht is my last stop," he replied. "I think I have the curse with me today. Everywhere I go, I have a delay. But I have to do my checks now. If my colleague checks your ticket, say that you're here because of me."

"Thanks so much," Bibi smiled brightly.

"Thank you," Eleanor smiled.

Bibi looked at Eleanor. "I love your train friends," she impressively said.