3 | trouble in paradise

***********************************************************************

"Is Jasper gonna be okay?" I ask Carlisle in a tentative voice. He's currently using tweezers to take out the small remaining shards of glass still embedded in my arm. It hurts like heck. Every time the tweezers make contact with my skin I reflexively flinch. Carlisle is being extremely careful with me though by gently holding my arm still with his other hand.

"He'll be fine," Carlisle assures, putting the tweezers down on a small metal tray. He looks me in the eyes. "He may need some time to cope. I might send him to our cousins in Denali for a while."

The Denali Coven, I know of them. Edward has mentioned them in the past. They're not really cousins with the Cullens, just like how the Cullen siblings aren't actually related to each other either. They're "related" in the sense that they only drink animal blood, much like the Cullens.  They both follow the vampire version of a "vegetarian" diet.

I look down at the floor as Carlisle takes out a stitching needle and string from a little box. "I'm so sorry this happened," I apologize. "I should have been more careful. I don't know why I was trying to open it so fast. I haven't gotten a paper cut since when I was like a freshmen. Of course, today of all days, I had to get one."

I roll my eyes both at myself and at the universe for doing this to me. Sometimes I feel like I have no control over my life. It's like when you're eating, and you bite your tongue. You never know when it's going to happen, and you have zero control over it. It just . . . happens.

"It's not your fault," Carlisle says. "Jasper hasn't been away from human blood as long as the rest of us."

I shake my head. "Still, I should have been more careful." I look up at Carlisle's perfectly chiseled face. "When you see Jasper, can you please tell him that I don't blame him? I don't want him to feel guilty because of me. He was only following his natural instincts."

Carlisle nods, looking me in the eyes. "I will." He pauses. "Do you think you can hold still for me? I need both hands to apply the stitches."

A wave of nervousness fills the pit of my stomach. The only other time I needed stitches was after James attacked me. However, I was unconscious when the doctors stitched me up, so I wasn't able to feel the pain when they put them in. I don't think I'll be able to handle being awake while Carlisle stitches me up. I hate needles, and the very thought of one sticking into my skin makes me squirm on the inside.

I sigh in embarrassment before answering Carlisle's question. "I-I don't know if I'll be able to hold still." I look up into his golden eyes through my lashes. "I kind of have a needle problem," I admit shyly.

Carlisle nods his head in understanding. "Don't worry. It's not a problem." He turns his head to the side in thought before looking me in the eyes again. "I would have Edward hold your hand, but I'm afraid he's in no condition at the moment to be around an open wound. Hmm," he hums to himself. "If it's alright with you, I do have something here that can put you to sleep for about an hour. That should be enough time for me to stitch you up. How does that sound?"