prologue: rebound

A/N: I'm really excited to write this story! More will come once I've finished April Showers but I hope you enjoy this little prologue, please vote and comment

A/N: I'm really excited to write this story! More will come once I've finished April Showers but I hope you enjoy this little prologue, please vote and comment. More notes at the end!

P.S. will I edit this tomorrow morning when I'm more awake? Probably. But I think I'm pretty happy with it so hopefully it'll just be minor grammatical fixes.

__________

NEW YORK

Violet counts the hexagons on the wallpaper again. And then each side of the hexagons and then each point. She checks her phone, reads over her lines and begins to count the hexagons again. Over and over until the shapes blend into one and the lines of dialogue on the paper are blurred.

"Violet Rogers?"

At the sound of her name, Violet looks up from the audition sides in her hand. She's been sitting down for so long that her legs feel like lead as she stands and the numbness in her thigh gives way to the sharp tingling of pins and needles. But she tries her best to ignore it, shakes her leg in hopes that it helps and takes a deep breath. She tucks a loose strand of strawberry blonde hair behind her ear as she readies herself to follow the casting assistant into the room but is stopped short of making her first step.

"Thank you for waiting, but you're free to go."

Violet's heart drops. The words are never easy to hear, let alone when she's been sitting in a stuffy corridor for three hours under the premise she would be seen. This is why she prefers self tapes. Does her brother over-act when he feeds her lines? Sure, but at least she can do it in the comfort on their apartment and in her own time. Once she's sent it off, she can forget about it for a while, or forever if she doesn't actually hear anything back.

"Oh," she replies, confused. "But my agent said I was guaranteed to get in the room today. She spoke with the producer."

The woman sent out to turn her away offers a sad smile.

"Who's your agent?"

"Aggie Harkness."

"I hate to break it to ya, but you weren't getting in that room with Aggie Harkness as an agent, sweetheart." The assistant does a bad job of hiding the laugh in her reply and the soft murmurs from other girls still waiting to be seen are loud in Violets ears, taunting her.

"What?"

"I'm sure you're talented as hell, but she's got a bad rep. As soon as they," she gestures to the production team on the other side of the door, "find out you're represented by her, you have no chance."

"But that's not fair," Violet argues. She can already hear the tremble in her voice as her throat closes up. Sometimes, she thinks she's not made for this. She's never handled the rejection well, let's each and every one eat her up inside until she's on the verge of quitting acting altogether.