chapter two: with every guitar string scar on his hand

A/N: if you read this, sorry I've kept you waiting months for an update

A/N: if you read this, sorry I've kept you waiting months for an update. Not sure how I feel about this chapter. I'm still trying to get into the groove with this story but hopefully the more I write and the more things heat up, the easier it flows.

No warnings this time around.

Please vote and comment, and I hope you enjoy!

____________

WEST HOLLYWOOD

Violet is grateful for the blast of cool air as she follows Bucky through the side entrance of the Bird Club. Blinking rapidly, her eyes struggle to adjust to the dim light when just a second ago, she'd been squinting in the scorching Californian sun. The door swings closed behind them, taking the brightness with it and Violet finds herself reaching out for Bucky's shoulder as he leads the way.

"You okay, Sunshine?"

"Yeah, just can't see for shit," Violet deadpans, nearly tripping over her own feet as Bucky suddenly bears left. She yelps, gripping him tighter to stop herself from stumbling and falls into a fit of giggles at her own clumsiness.

"Oops! Sorry, Vi!"

Bucky's laughter joins hers, both of them joyous and loud, echoing in the empty corridor. He reaches back to lace their fingers together, his hands warm and his fingertips a little rough from the plucking of guitar strings — forming rich, gorgeous riffs that she's grown used to hearing echo through the apartment in the past few days. Violet tries to ignore the little swoop her stomach performs as Bucky's thumb brushes over the length of hers, willing the kaleidoscope of trapeze artist butterflies to cut it out.

It's just Bucky. Bucky her brother's oldest friend. Bucky her new roommate who's doing his best help her land on her feet after an impulsive, poorly-planned upheaval across the country. Bucky who's so effortlessly gorgeous — with his pretty steel-blue eyes and perfectly messy hair and sharp jaw that frames the soft dimple in his chin —that Violet sometimes can't stand to look at him. She groans inwardly and let's Mr Effortlessly Gorgeous pull her through a set of double doors into the back of house area and she blinks again, the fluorescent lighting of the kitchens intrusive on her vision and suddenly too bright after the dark.

The bar is their first stop on the 'Find Violet Rogers a Job Tour'.

And Bucky, it seems, is on a mission.

He woke Violet this morning by setting Alpine loose, as though the feline is some kind of beast and not a slightly overweight, spoilt cat whose idea of terrorising is kneading biscuits on her owner's belly. Violet came to with the fluff ball lying across her chest, whiskers tickling her cheek, and Bucky leaning in her bedroom doorway. He was wearing nothing but his boxers, a faded band t-shirt and a lopsided grin. It was a sight. In fact, that probably startled her to life more than the pet invasion.