Chapter 11

An obituary in a newspaper, found in the glove box of a blue 2004 Toyota Tundra:

Romilly "Red" Velvet, 22, passed away on July 5 due to complications from smoke inhalation at the local hospital. He died doing what he loved, caught in a forest fire while on a hike just outside of town, and his heart lives on in the new plant life that blooms in the wake of the wildfire that claimed his life.

Romilly is survived by his closest friends, both at home and abroad. He was a talented photographer, and his cheerful attitude and crass sense of humor will be missed by the newspaper staff he worked with in his hometown of San Francisco, California.

A short ceremony will be held on August 10 at the residence of his friends and family.

A police report filed at the Blue Ridge County police department:

INCIDENT REPORT

REPORTED BY: Sam "Awesamdude" Bucket

TITLE / ROLE: Sgt.

DATE OF REPORT: [REDACTED]

INCIDENT NO.: [REDACTED]

INCIDENT TYPE: Second degree murder

LOCATION

CITY: [REDACTED]

SPECIFIC AREA OF LOCATION (if applicable): [REDACTED]

STATE: Oregon

ZIP CODE: [REDACTED]

INCIDENT DESCRIPTION

DATE OF INCIDENT: [REDACTED]

INCIDENT SUMMARY: At approximately 6:34 a.m. on July 5th, [REDACTED], Romilly "Red" Velvet was discovered unconscious by his friends and a local state trooper in the forest after a large, rapid-spreading wildfire, several miles off the main trail. Victim was rushed to the local hospital and unfortunately died due to severe burns and complications with smoke inhalation.

Victim sustained visible blunt-force trauma to the neck and torso, presumably from a fall, as well as what were suspected to be animal bites and scratches on the arms, neck, chest, and legs. Victim also showed signs of strangulation and shrapnel wounds.

Victim's friends claimed that he was acting "weird and mentally unstable" in the weeks leading up to his death, and also admitted to him recreationally taking drugs including LSD, ecstasy, and marijuana. Contaminants were not found in the victim's bloodstream at the time of death. Victim's friends also insist on a supernatural element to his murder, as did the reporting officer. Witnesses were described as "panicked" and "shell-shocked" by hospital staff, behaving erratically and irrationally after discovery of the victim and claiming to have seen "weird lights in the forest," as well as the mythical Blue Ridge Siren.

Noah "Foolish" Puffy, who was arrested and confessed to starting the forest fire, also claimed supernatural involvement and was severely mutilated—presumably by local wildlife—when found at the scene of the crime.

NAME / ROLE / CONTACT OF PARTIES INVOLVED: Romilly "Red" Velvet (Victim); Noah "Foolish" Puffy (Perpetrator)

NAME / ROLE / CONTACT OF WITNESSES: Dylan "Boomer" Nathans (Victim's close friend); Gumi Kumiho (Victim's close friend); Luke "Punz" Roberts (Owner of victim's residence at the time of the incident); Cpt. Cara Puffy (Perpetrator's mother/reporting officer)

POLICE REPORT FILED?

REPORTING OFFICER: Cpt. Cara Puffy

PRECINCT: [REDACTED]

PHONE: [REDACTED]

FOLLOW-UP ACTION

Due to their insistence on supernatural involvement in the case, the victim's three friends are to be sentenced to court-mandated grief counseling and therapy. Reporting officer is also to be sent to mandated therapy. Perpetrator Noah Puffy is to be sentenced to a psychiatric care facility until no longer deemed a danger to himself and others, and is to undergo court-mandated trauma therapy.

All evidence and case information is to be sent to the SCP Foundation for additional research, as persisting rumors about the supposedly mythical Blue Ridge Siren may require further investigation.

SUPERVISOR NAME: [REDACTED]

SUPERVISOR SIGNATURE: [REDACTED]

DATE: [REDACTED]

An epitaph on a metal plaque nailed to the trunk of an oak tree, in a clearing deep in the woods in the Blue Ridge Lake area:

IN MEMORIAM

Romilly "Red" Velvet

Died doing what he loved, both literally and figuratively. He will be dearly missed.

Ant, take good care of him for us.