96% Biologists say...

One of the defining basis of the abortion debate revolves around when life begins. Pro-Life advocates argue that life begins at conception and that all life has equal value. Pro-Choice advocates either believe that life does not begin at conception or that not all life is equal.

In a survey, Steve Jacobs began as "part of his dissertation for his Ph.D. at the University of Chicago's department of Comparative Human Development", Jacobs emailed biologists in thousands of universities around the world asking when life began. The results were shocking, while 85% identified as Pro-Choice, "5,337 biologists (96%) affirmed that a human's life begins at fertilization, with 240 (4%) rejecting that view" (Jacobs). The reason why this survey was taken was not to support either position but rather "to assess whether there is room for compromise." The result of this survey, and others that have had similar findings, prove that life begins at fertilization. 

The question then shifts away from "when does life begin?" to "is all life equally valuable?" Some abortion supporters, such as Peter Singer, argue that "the life of a newborn is of less value than the life of a pig, a dog or a chimpanzee" because they are not self-aware. While the Pro-Life position argues that "a human being's worth is intrinsic and innate, not dependent upon their size, location, level of development or self-awareness".

To be Pro-abortion, one has to either disagree with the 96% of biologists who say life begins at conception or disagree that all life is equally valuable.