꩜ beach talk ꩜

the group arrived home with two police officers with them, laurel was the only one awake to talk to the cops

gemma had the hood on her head to hide the bruise on her eyebrow, she sat right next to conrad while the others stood beside them. she had planned to stay away from the boy so she could breathe properly after their moment in the car, but he seemed to have a different opinion on the matter. as soon as he sat down, he grabbed the girl's hand and brought her with him, he didn't do much after that, but their proximity was enough to send chills every now and then to the girl's body.

"thank you officers" laurel's voice brought the girl back from her thoughts "it won't happen again, I can promise you that much."

"tell mr. fisher the chief wants to set up a tee time when he gets back in town." one of the officers announced on their way out.

"absolutely." the woman smiled nervously. "sorry again for all the trouble. have a good night, officers."

there was a couple minutes of silence when the door closed, gemma kept her head down while laurel stared at all of them, she sighed and spoke.

"how could you be so irresponsible?" she looked at every single one of them.

"mom, it wasn't a big deal. all right? seriously." steven was the first one to say something.

"yeah the cops were just looking to break up the bonfire." jeremiah completed.

"not a big deal?" she scoffed not believing in what she was hearing.

"yes."

"i would say getting picked up by the cops for underage drinking is a pretty big deal, steven."

steven stops for a second and sniffs, he looks at his mom and scoffs.

"were-were you guys, you guys smoking tonight?"

"what? keep your voice down." she said. "susannah's asleep on the couch."

gemma felt conrad's hand touch her back and she tensed but as soon as he started to caress her, she relaxed a little. the boy couldn't hear about his mom in the moment, if he paid attention, he was afraid he might break, he needed to focus, he needed his anchor, and she was right beside him.

"just so you know, laurel, I-I didn't drink tonight. I was the dd, I swear." jeremiah announced raising his hands in redemption.

"you're the oldest." with the sudden attention on him conrad tensed and his hand stood still on the blonde girl's back. "what the hell's gotten into you?" he didn't meet her eyes, instead he looked over to gemma who still had her head down. "and when did you two leave the house without telling anybody? and what in the world are you wearing?"

"It's taylor's." belly said. "and why are we the only ones who aren't allowed to go out?"

"It's not that you're not allowed, it's that you should have told us you were going. how did you even get there?"