17|Maybe I have other plans

Dinner went smoothly although Cadee didn't pay much attention to the food or what was happening around her. The only time she listened was when Max gave a speech. She'd beamed and clapped the loudest, until she remembered what he had called her, then the smile fell.

"They're clearing the tables already," Max leaned in to whisper. "you've barely touched your dinner. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just not really hungry."

Max nodded before returning his hand to her thigh, efficiently distracting her. Now her mind was remembering how his callused fingers had felt inside her. He had barely touched her after his speech, focusing on conversing with his family. Now that his hand was back, she realized she had been yearning for it. "You ready to leave? I don't think I can stomach all these men staring at you for much longer."

She looked around before smirking at him. "What men Max? Everyone else is focused on eating."

"Maybe I have other plans for tonight that are getting delayed." His hand drew dangerously close to her inner thighs and she closed her legs, trapping his fingers and stopping them from climbing any further. "that would only make me want to try harder, baby."

She smacked his arm lightly, a tiny blush climbing her cheeks. "I need to use the restroom quickly. We can go when I'm done," she said and Max nodded before reluctantly letting her go.

She went back towards the door they'd come through and followed the arrows pasted on the walls that pointed to the bathroom. After relieving herself, she washed her hands and walked out, almost running into Trin. "I'm sorry," she apologized to the woman who waved her hand.

"It's fine. Can you wait for me?"

"Sure. I'll just wait here," Cadee replied as the woman hurried into a bathroom stall. When she was done, she washed her hands then turned to look at Cadee.

"I'm glad you liked the dress."

"I loved them, but Max was only comfortable with this one. Thank you so much."

"It's no problem. I was really surprised he chose to bring you though. With Nina, Manuel and I practically forced him to let us see her," Trin laughed as she dried her hands on a paper towel.

"Who's Nina?" Cadee's eyebrow rose.

"He didn't tell you? She was his girlfriend. He didn't even tell us they broke up until we went shopping." Trin tossed the paper towel in the trash can. "He said they ended things a day before we went shopping."

"When did you guys go shopping?"

"Yesterday." Trin watched her, trying to understand what was happening. "Wait. Why do you look like you have no idea what I'm talking about."

Cadee laughed before shaking her head. "I do. I'm just really tired and Max is waiting for me so we can go."

"Oh. I'm sorry for keeping you, let's go then. I think I'll convince Manuel so we can leave too."

The two women walked out of the bathroom as Trin continued to talk about Max and how closed off he always seemed. Cadee's mind kept trying to figure out how to feel. She couldn't be angry that he'd only recently broken up with the woman. But she also couldn't help but wonder if Max had still been seeing her all these while. She also wondered if he'd been texting both of them that week they hadn't seen and she hated how stupid she'd been to blush and look forward to his text.

"Oh shit! She's here!" Trin pulled on her arm. "She never attended any functions with the family before. I didn't even think she knew Aldo!"

Cadee looked around, searching for who Trin was talking about. Her eyes landed on the table they'd been sitting to find a woman in her seat, grinning and talking to his family. Max had a hand around her chair and he had a small smile on his lips as he watched her talk. Cadee wondered what could be so interesting to them as Manuel threw his head back and laughed. Max's smile widened as he shook his head.