Chapter 1 Hurt and Alone

Brooke

I awake to the sound of laughter coming from the kitchen downstairs. Just as I think about getting out of bed my phone starts to buzz from my bedside table. It was a phone call from my best friend Gianna. I decide to leave it and call her back after I freshen up. After finishing with my morning routine I grab my phone only to see a million texts and missed calls from Gianna blowing up my phone. She picks up my call after the first ring and before I can manage to get a word out she squeals into the phone.

"Silas Graham just asked me out!" she shrieks before I can even manage to say hello. Gianna had been crushing on Silas since he joined our school last year and instantly joined the soccer team, becoming best friends with Grey Knight, the school's resident bad boy. He was the type of guy that all the girls run after. We were now juniors at Brison High. She had been rambling on about how she had waited for this moment forever before I stopped her.

"Wait wait wait, hold up G. Silas Graham as in the Silas Graham as in Grey Knights best friend asked you out? When did this happen? tell me all the details later but for now i have to go alright I'll call you later." I tell her before we say our goodbyes and I hang up the call.

I make my way downstairs for breakfast before I stop dead in my tracks on the last step. My family. They were all sitting there together eating pancakes and talking and laughing with each other. My dad, my mum, my older brother Sebastian and my younger brother Theodore. I was the middle child and only daughter and truth be told I've never ever fit in with my family and I had always been neglected by my parents. Their attention was always on either of my brothers and I was always in the background. Sometimes they treated me like I wasn't even a part of their family. Honestly it hurts, it hurts a lot more than one would think. Sometimes I wonder what I did to deserve this. I mean I must have something for my parents to hate me like this. But what could I have possibly done? Before I can stop it the tears rush to my eyes. I will the tears away from my eyes before someone sees me and once I am sure that there is nothing on my face signalling that I almost cried I make my way towards the dining table they were all sitting on. Once they saw me approach the laughs coming from them previously had stopped and the smiles had dropped off of their faces.

"Morning Brooke" my mother finally spoke up, pasting a friendly smile on her face. It was a genuinely friendly smile but not the type that a mother usually gives her daughter. Theadore gives me a small nod but Sebastian and my dad continue with their conversation not even bothering to acknowledge me. The table that everyone was sitting on only had 4 seats and they were all taken. Looking for some pancakes I lean over only to realise that there were none left.

They only made enough for themselves.

Frowning, I walk over to the main kitchen area and make myself a bowl of cereal before going back up to my room with my breakfast. While eating I decide to call Gianna back.

"Finally, I thought I would never hear back from you" She says as soon as she answers the facetime call.

"Alright relax there I only went to go get breakfast G" I respond showing her my bowl of cereal.

"Yeh yeh that's alright BUT OMG I NEED TO TELL YOU ABOUT SILAS!" she yells.

"Oh yeah tell me how that came to be about"

"Alright yeah so you know how I have had a crush on him since he joined school last year..." she goes on to tell me about how he cornered her in the halls and asked her out and about how now they are going for dinner and a movie tonight.

We talk for a while about what she's going to wear and what is going to happen until she leaves to go get dressed for school. I was getting put into a senior English lit class today since my grades were too good for a junior. I get ready relatively quickly so I decide to continue reading my book before I have to leave.