Chapter 6 • Farewell

After that rude awakening, Lily was informed that they would commence their journey as soon as they had broken their fast. Alasdair went to check how his men were fairing with the preparations and Lily took the opportunity to pack the last bits of her belongings and take inventory of her fairy herbs to make sure she had a good variety in her medicinal bag; one never knew what one would need on a long journey.

Lily realised just how literally the Mackenzie's meant 'as soon as they had broken their fast' by having hardly swallowed the water washing down her last morsel when her husband's closest men rose from the table, collected their things, and headed out of the hall.

Alasdair approached her, his face softened as he noticed her slight panic at how quick they were leaving, but his eyes still betrayed his excited impatience to set out towards his home.

Their home.

"It's time," he nodded, his voice was deep and smooth. "We've a long journey ahead o' us and we need to make a good start."

He held out his hand to help her rise, which she took gingerly, but when Lily had stepped over the bench and was securely on her feet, he did not let go. She could feel his warm, reassuring thumb rub across her cold knuckles and he tucked the captive hand into the crook of his arm. Alasdair started leading her out of the small dining hall in the direction his men had gone when he leaned down close to her ear and whispered, "Come, I want to show you something."

Alasdair's eyes shone with boyish excitement and mystery when she looked up at him and curiously followed him to the stables where the Mackenzie men were securing bundles to their mounts. She couldn't see Colin, the stallion she had chosen to take. Lily felt horrible having to take one of the horses when her clan needed them so much more than she, but the horse was rather old and would not be as sorely missed as some others.

She was still trying to spot Colin when Keir approached them, leading a horse. He held the reins out to her and she dumbly took hold of them as she breathlessly examined the chestnut mare with the white diamond between her eyes and white socks on her hoofs. Her coat was clean and shiny, very well taken care of, which spoke volumes as to the owner's character. She had big brown eyes that seemed to read Lily's thoughts as she nudged her nose into Lily's hand, asking for a pat. Lily let out a surprised breath and smiled as the horse tickled her hand with her whiskers.

"How do ye like her?" Alasdair inquired, eying her keenly.

"Oh, she's beautiful!" Lily exclaimed, stroking the animal, "I do no' think I have ever seen such a fine horse."

"She's yers. A wedding present."

Lily's smile dropped in disbelief and turned to Alasdair.

Hers?

Her own horse had died a few years ago and she hadn't asked her father to purchase a new one for her but simply used whichever one was available in the stable. Did Alasdair know this? Did he realise how thoughtful this gift of his truly was? That she wouldn't have to take Colin who would be of more value staying at Leslie? She could feel a lump rise in her throat.

"What do ye think?" Alasdair was getting a wee bit nervous with her silence as she stared into his hazel eyes, the green being highlighted by the morning sun.

Before it registered what her body was doing, Lily found herself dropping the reins and throwing her arms around his neck, pulling him into a tight hug as her eyes were brimming with tears.

His arms returned her embrace after only the slightest hesitation. His smokey, cedarwood scent filled her senses and she took a moment to breathe it in.

"I take it ye like her then," Alasdair's deep, soft laugh sent vibrations through her body.

Lily stiffened. Her eyes shot open as she realised what she had done. She became shockingly aware of their closeness, the touch of his warm, strong hands burning holes in her back. She retracted her arms and back away from him in awkward, jerky movements, her cheeks burning.