Epilogue

"Sh sh sh," Alasdair comforted the precious bundle in his arms, swaying back and forth in a rhythmic manner as he walked around the chamber towards the window in an attempt not disturb the sleep of the rest in the keep, "Dadidh's got ye, Finn," he whispered as the cries died down to little wimpers, "Ye're safe."

He glanced down when all noises ceased and found bright blue eyes staring up at him, looking most awake. As tired as he was, Alasdair couldn't resist the smile growing on his face. His chest swirled with pride and love as he returned the gaze of his young son. It had been two months of sleepless nights and constant fascination with this wee bairn and Alasdair couldn't find any part of him wishing it any other way. He also could not have asked for a better wife or more perfect mother to his child - Lily had been the most patient and attentive woman he ever could have asked for - and not only with their son but also with the overbearing grandparents, uncle, adopted uncles (of whom there were many between his three men, Keeva's four brothers, and Blake), and adopted aunt.

His wish for having a loving marriage had been fulfilled and now he wished for a loving family environment in which to raise his and Lily's bairns...

Aye, wee Finnegan will definitely not feel the lack of love I had felt growing up.

His mother had opened up a great deal since the birth and had softened so much in comparison with Alasdair's childhood, the young bairn brought a warm smile to her lips more often than Blake ever had, much to the new laird's chagrin. But Blake could not keep it against the wee one since even he was tied around Finn's wee finger.

Aye, Blake became the new laird of Sutherland instead of Magnus, who had the right according to custom as he was the previous laird's first in command. This took place for two reasons: one, there were heavy suspicions against Magnus for his hand in Callum's downfall and murderous ways and by Lily's explanation, he was responsible for the shepherd lad Charlie's death as well; and two, he was nowhere to be found. It had been eight months since the death of Alasdair's friend-turned-adversary and all attempts on both the Mackenzie's and the Sutherland's part could not reveal Magnus' whereabouts.

Callum's death had hit Alasdair rather hard for being the man who had attempted to kill his wife multiple times, but part of it was that they had been good friends longer than they had been enemies. The other part was because Alasdair was ashamed that he had not realised how badly Kathleen's death had affected Callum and that he had not suspected Callum blamed him. He regretted not going to visit his friend sooner and helping him through the difficult time. If he had, mayhap Magnus would not have been able to poison his mind as Lily had mentioned.

Although the guilty thoughts still plagued him, Lily had been a solid rock of both comfort and reason as she supported him through his grief.

As for the future, the level-headed Laird Blake gave Alasdair hope for Sutherland and their two clan's future relationship.

The soft patter of footsteps behind him pulled Alasdair out of his thoughts and his gaze fell on his beautiful wife. Her Forget-Me-Not eyes squinted as she struggled to keep them open and her raven coloured hair tumbled messily around her elbows.

Another smile graced his features as she drew near, placing a soft hand on his forearm to peer down at their son. She pressed a soft kiss on Finn's forehead before looking up at Alasdair, her love and contentment clear in her eyes.

Aye, they were going to be alright.