Chapter 18 • Gone

"Are ye sure ye're feeling a'right?" Keeva asked her, eyeing her friend with concern, "Ye're looking a bit green."

"Actually, nay, no' really," Lily finally admitted with a grimace, rubbing her abdomen, "My stomach has had quite the complaint fer some time now."

"How about we go outside fer a bit?" Keeva suggested with a hand on Lily's back, "The fresh air will do ye good."

Lily only nodded her head in answer. Her stomach had suddenly started churning and she was afraid if she said anything, more than simply words would come out.

Keeva led her outside quickly and just in the nick of time too - as soon as they exited the keep doors, Lily deposited her dinner in the nearby bush, oblivious to the droplets of rain making quick work of drenching her dress.

As a healer, Lily had started to suspect why she felt so ill, only to have it confirmed when the way of women never came upon her that month, but she kept the suspicion to herself, not wanting to jump to conclusions and getting everyone's hopes up - including her own - but also not to add to the worry with a potential murderer on the loose.

She would be absolutely thrilled to carry the child of the man she loved and who loved her! Head knowledge told her Alasdair would be ecstatic too, based on their conversation many weeks ago when he was showing her around the keep for the first time, but her emotional state made her doubt if he wanted this so soon.

With a groan, she wiped her mouth with her sleeve and stood up again, holding her stomach.

She certainly hoped she was with child - at least then she would have a reason for feeling so awful all the time.

Lily turned to face her friend again who still stood under cover from the rain and froze when she saw Keeva's shocked and worried face.

Was this the time to share her suspicions with a friend who was closer to her than a sister ever could be?

Lily and Keeva opened their mouths to say something at the same time, but Keeva's eyes suddenly grew wide and she quickly drew her sword, coming out from under the cover and standing in front of Lily protectively.

The next thing Lily knew, her whole world turned into silent chaos. There were at least a dozen men surrounding them without saying a word and Keeva doing her best to fend them off, the pouring rain drowning out whatever sounds the clashes of swords made.

From the little Lily knew about sword skills, she could see if this was a fair one-on-one fight, none of them would have been a match for Keeva, except mayhap the one with brown hair that shone with a red tinge in the firelight. However, it was twelve against two and Lily had not one slither of fighting skill in her, so rather it was twelve against one.

Make that one and a half, Lily thought proudly as she hit one of their attackers over the head with a rock she found, but her triumph did not last long. Strong arms suddenly encircled her waist, depleting her lungs of oxygen as she was lifted off her feet. Lily kicked up a struggle with an involuntary scream only to be cut off by a feminine-sounding cry and groan.

Momentarily ceasing the worst of her struggles, Lily peered through the rain for the sound's origin. Her eyes widened and her heart lurched when she found Keeva lying face down on the ground.

"Keeva!" she shouted, resuming her struggles with renewed vigour, "Let go o' me, ye brute! Keeva!"

Her friend made a move to rise, but the man towering over her with the red-brown hair used the butt of his sword to send a final blow to Keeva's head causing her to fall limply to the ground once more.

"Nay! Do no' hurt her! Keeva!" Lily screamed, her voice sounding hoarse with panic starting to set in as the strong arms gripped her even tighter, carrying her away from her unconscious friend and away from her keep, "Help! Alasdair! Hel-"