Unexpected

As they celebrated their last show in Paris, Kate sipped her wine and tried to tame the butterflies in her stomach. Tomorrow she was going to surprise Tom in Toronto. And today she had received a phone call from the police prosecutor - Dean was pleading not guilty. This was not what they'd hoped, but it was what they'd expected.

Ed pulled her aside before they went back to the hotel. "You need to know something. I'm not biased, I'm not in love with you and you know I say exactly what I think." Kate nodded, a little taken aback. "You are a fucking amazing musician. Whatever happens, and I can't imagine it will be easy and won't shake your confidence, remember that. You have to come back, because I want you to do another tour, and I want to do some co-writing with you for the next album."

Kate was speechless and felt like she might fall over. "Wow," was all she could get out.

They said their goodbyes over breakfast the following morning, Kate had to leave a couple of hours earlier than the boys. On the way to the airport she got a message from Zachary 'Call me when you're free xx'. Once she was in the lounge she fished out her phone and dialled.

"What's happening Mr Levi?"

"That's what I was going to ask you! Never boring in your world, is it Kate."

"No, it isn't. I meant to call you, it's just everything got so busy. We just finished the tour, I'm at the airport."

"And are you bound for Sydney or London?"

"Neither actually. I'm going to Toronto. Tom is about to wrap up filming and I'm going to surprise him."

"Well that's a lovely thing to do for the man you recently broke up with."

"Ouch, Zach. He knows I made a mistake, I don't think I can ever fix it, but he knows. And we might be back together."

"Yes I know. TMZ told me." he laughed.

"Gah already?"

"I'm really glad you sorted it out, I hoped you would. How was the tour?"

"Amazing. I can't wait to do it again!"

"And you're still giving evidence at the hearing?"

"Yes. Otherwise he'll probably just get away with it."

"Be safe, Kate. What you're doing takes guts, especially when you don't actually have to face him but you're choosing to."

"Thanks Zach. I just hope it's worth it."

"Me too. I'd better let you go if you're about to get on a plane. Say hi to Tom for me and keep me updated from Oz, OK?"

"Will do. Say hi to Missy!"

Kate was exhausted. She slept almost the entire trip to Toronto and still felt like she needed a nap. When she landed she called Harrison, Tom's assistant. He was expecting her on set and she wanted to let him know she was only half an hour away. When she arrived he met her at the gate and let her straight through. "It's so lovely to meet you, Kate. I've heard so much about you."

"Thanks for meeting me Harrison, I don't want to interrupt him if he's busy."

"Only for a few minutes, I'm sure he'll welcome the interruption." he smiled warmly. Harrison was young, maybe early twenties, and tall with short dark brown hair. "Can I get you anything?"

"Coffee would be amazing, just point me to where it is and I can get it."

"If Tom knew I'd done that he'd fire me. I'll be right back with it, have a seat."

Kate sat down and could see Tom filming a scene with Mia and Jessica. The set was breathtaking, even with all the equipment scattered around it felt real. Tom's dark collar-length hair and pale makeup gave him a sinister appearance that was not quite Loki but far removed from Tom. He loomed oppressively over Mia and Kate shuddered a little.

A moment later Harrison returned with her coffee, just as they cut the scene and went to re-set. Tom walked toward Harrison, about to say something, and stopped dead when Kate stood up. A beaming smile spread across his face and he wrapped his arms around Kate. "I won't be too much longer and we'll be done for the day, OK? Harrison will look after you. I can't believe you're here!" he said excitedly, kissing her quickly before darting off. A second later he came running back. "Harry I came over to ask if you'd get me a water please. Sorry I got distracted," he grinned at her again as Harrison went to get his drink.

When they were finished for the day, Tom introduced Kate to everyone. The theme seemed to be that they'd all heard a lot about her, and every time she heard that she cringed a little. They wouldn't have heard anything until after she'd broken his heart and left. The last to join them was Mia. "Oh god it's so good to hear another Aussie accent!" she said, which Kate thought was a nice change from 'I've heard so much about you!' "Tom," she said, "I'm borrowing her for a while, I need to hear all about Ed Sheeran!" and she took Kate's arm, walking her toward the catering tent.

"So Tom said the show was brilliant," she said, pulling up a chair.

"Oh, it was such an amazing experience. I can't wait to do it again. He's really clever, and he writes beautifully. I think I'll learn a lot from him."

"See the only thing we heard about the show was how magnificent you were." Mia said. "Actually Tom showed us a couple of videos and he wasn't exaggerating. But I'll admit I wasn't really watching you." she laughed.

"I'd be a bit creeped out if you were!" Kate said. "Ed is really down to earth and just lovely to be around. Blunt and brutally honest though. He definitely doesn't lack an opinion!"

Tom and the others walked in and sat down. "Mia," he said sternly. "Just because my house tried to kill you doesn't mean you can kidnap my girlfriend."

"Ha! Sorry, you guys probably want some time alone huh?"

Kate said "No it's fine" at the same time as Tom said "Yes we do" and everyone laughed. He held out his hand and Kate stood up.

"How long are you staying?" Mia asked.

"Until you're done I think, unless it's more than 3 weeks."

"Oh good. Plenty of time then."

Tom whisked her away before she could get in to another conversation and walked her to the car, meeting a few fans on the way out.

Kate sat down in the car and closed her eyes. "You OK?" Tom asked.

"Yeah," Kate said, looking over at him.

"I'm so happy to see you Kate," he took her hand in his. "You look exhausted."

"Yeah I am a little bit tired." Within a few minutes she was asleep, and when they got to Tom's apartment he carried her inside, putting her gently down on the couch while he cooked dinner.

Kate woke with a start a little while later. It took her a few minutes to realise where she was, and she sat up, rubbing her eyes. "Hey gorgeous," Tom said from the kitchen. "Dinner is almost ready, I was just wondering whether to wake you."

They ate on the couch and talked about the last few days. "I saw the video of the Paris show on YouTube. Totally blew me away. I wish I'd been there," Tom said as he put down his bowl.

Kate smiled. "I still can't quite believe I can do that. I was convinced I couldn't for as long as I can remember. I always just thought I wasn't good enough. But to do that in front of all those people... it's such a rush."

"It shows. That's where you belong." he kissed her forehead. "You should rest up while you're here, darling. We'll be done in a week. I can't believe you're here. Thank you for coming, and surprising me. I had such an awful start to filming here it's nice to finish it on a high." Kate put down her plate and curled herself in to Tom's warm chest, draping her legs over his lap. He was so warm and soft, and smelled so good. She could hear his heart beat and his even breath as he held her tightly to him, and it wasn't long before she felt her eyes closing again.