Old enemies

When they landed in Sydney Kate couldn't wait to get to the car and take Tom home. Him accompanying her wasn't public knowledge and the court didn't want fans turning up to the hearing so it had been kept very quiet. When they arrived they were last off the plane and escorted straight to the car where their luggage was waiting. Kate had chosen an XR6 Turbo for the duration of their stay, it was a far cry from Tom's jag or the R8. She surprised him by going straight for the driver's seat without asking. "You're on my turf now, Hiddleston." She said as she started the car.
It was almost a 2 hour drive from the airport to Newcastle and Tom enjoyed the scenery as they got closer, looking in awe as the coastline went by outside. "You've seen Aussie beaches before haven't you?" Kate asked.
"Not really. I saw Bondi once, from the road. But that's it. Most of what I've seen is the inside of vehicles, hotels and studios."
"You're in for a treat then. You can almost fall in to the ocean from our house." Tom's eyes widened. Kate had taken care of all the arrangements and she hadn't been very forthcoming with the details, wanting to give him a few surprises.
When she turned in to a drive way he looked at her incredulously. "No," he said. "This is it?"
"Sure is." Kate said, switching off the engine. The house was 5 houses up from Kate's parents and shared the same amazing beachfront view. The exterior was all modern white, with huge windows on both storeys, a huge deck on the bottom floor and a balcony off the main bedroom. Kate knew it well, she knew the owners and family had stayed there for holidays at Christmas.
They got inside and unpacked a little. Kate was thankful her mother had stocked the pantry and fridge for them so she wouldn't have to go shopping straight away.

They spent a couple of hours together alone before walking the short distance to Nerida and Jeremy's house, where they were waiting with Lizzie and Jake. Everyone warmed to Tom immediately, as Kate had expected. While Jake and Tom talked on the deck, Lizzie and Nerida pulled Kate aside.
"I just can't believe he could do this to you without any of us knowing. Why didn't you tell someone?"
"It's not that simple mum." Kate sighed, knowing she'd have to go through the whole story again. "He made me think it was my fault and I deserved it."
"Oh sweetheart,"
"I know now that I didn't, but at the time... it doesn't matter now. We're here to make sure he is punished and can't do this to anyone else."
"We will all be there to support you," Lizzie said.
"No. I won't have you in the court room. You don't need to hear the details."
"Kate,"
"I insist mum. I will make sure you're not allowed in if I have to. If you're there I'll be worried about you, and I don't have the energy. I'll answer anything you want to know here, but I will not have any of you at the hearing." Kate was firm and they knew there was no point in arguing.
"OK," Nerida said finally. "Is Tom going in with you?"
"For some of it, yes. I've told him not to stay if it's too much though."
"He's a wonderful man, Kate. The way he looks at you like you're his whole world... he'll look after you, I'm sure of it."
"So Liz, how's bub?" Asked Kate.
"Cooking away, craving everything greasy and sugary. I was waiting to tell you, it's a boy!"
"Oh, congratulations! How exciting! I'm going to have a nephew!"
"We're over the moon, can't wait to meet him. I think we're going to name him William."
"Gorgeous, I love it." Kate saw Tom watching her and he winked when she caught his eye.
"You are a lucky woman Kate. He is just..."
"Prince charming? Almost frustratingly perfect? Yes, he is. And I think I need to rescue him from dad." She laughed, and they went to the deck.
"You're not giving him the 'what are your intentions with my daughter' interrogation are you?" Kate smiled.
"I was just about to," Jeremy said.
"Spoil her rotten and make her deliriously happy. Just like she deserves." Tom pulled her to him and grinned.
"Good grief Kate marry him before he changes his mind!"
"Elizabeth!" Kate, Jake and Nerida shouted in unison.
"On that note, we actually need to get going, Naomi is coming over in a little while."
"Oh I feel awful about the way we treated her. Could you tell her how sorry we are?" Nerida looked solemnly at Kate.
"I will. I hope we might be friends again one day."