-Chapter One-

Calix

Calix fidgeted with the edge of the cuffs on the formal suit he was wearing. He was standing in front of a full length mirror, which was studded with some sort of expensive stones. His father stood behind him, adjusting the collar of his own formalwear.

The dressing room Calix and his family was large and grand, as most things were in the kingdom of Castreau, he was learning. It seemed that the kingdom flaunted their wealth wherever they could. He could have sworn he saw a solid gold tapestry on the way in, depicting some sort of array of gods and goddesses. He had also seen about a zillion vases and jars made of all kinds of expensive and beautiful material, and decorated with intricate designs. Just on display. Apparently, Castreau didn't feel the need to protect their riches.

Maids had bustled in and out, mostly tending to his mother but occasionally scurrying over to Calix and his father. Back home in the Kingdom of Adron, he and his parents didn't have many servants, or people waiting on them. Yes, they had palace staff but a large chunk of them had been sent to work as soldiers in the war. It was part of the reason Adron had such a large military.

"Head up, and don't slouch." King Ahaven tapped his shoulders sharply. "We have not met with the other kingdoms in almost a hundred years. Our entrance must be demanding, yet welcoming."

Well, that's not a double standard.

"Of course, father." His heart was beating fast already at the thought of meeting the other royals of the four kingdoms, and it doubled at the thought of having to be proper and demanding, as many people in the Kingdom of The East, his home were.

His mother, Queen Saphina, stood and stepped away from the vanity mirror she had been previously sitting at. Her long and straight burgundy gown brushed the floor as she moved to stand with her husband and son. It was softly embroidered with gently twinkling circles. Her heels, which were also a deep burgundy, clicked against the floor.

In the mirror, they were a perfect family. A joined three. A triangle. His mother was beautiful, with golden-brown hair that spilled around her face in soft curls. She had high cheekbones and clear blue eyes, thinner lips and a wide nose. His father was strong built, skilled with a bow and arrow. His hair was a rich brown, and his face held some wrinkles around his eyes and forehead, the only indication of his age. His eyes were a warm brown too, overcast with thick eyelashes and eyebrows.

Calix himself had his mother's curls, his father's hair color and eyes. He had thinner eyebrows than the king, and fuller lips than the queen. He was average height, and a little on the skinnier side. Somewhat agile, but lacked the mastery of the bow that both his parents held. He smiled at his mother in the mirror, and both of his parents smiled back.

Practiced perfection.

But smiles couldn't cover up everything back in Adron. They couldn't cover the way his father locked himself in the bathroom each morning and coughed for hours, leaving a red spattering in the sink behind him. They couldn't cover the clear unhappiness in the kingdom, or how often Calix wandered the halls by himself, or the countless deaths of the war and all the careful planning his parents did about it.

Which, evidently, didn't leave much time for their son.

The leaders had finally agreed to bring the war to an end. They could not mess anything up.

"This ball is the most important event of the decade." Queen Saphina placed her hand on his shoulder and squeezed slightly, as though she could read his mind. "Can you handle it?"

"I think so." Calix forced a half smile again and took a deep breath. No pressure.

At that moment, a short man dressed in white with greying hair opened the door to the dressing room. "Your Majesties? It's time." He swept a hand toward the deserted hall outside, that led to the grand ballroom where aristocrats, lords and ladies were gathered. It was a wide and long hall, with doors all along it, no doubt where the other royal families were gathered.