Chapter Ten

We were not granted much more time outside. We were called in just before I could beat Michael in a tree-climbing race. Though I had been ahead of him, he announced that it was a tie, since he was certain that he would have caught up as the branches near the top of the tree began to thin out.

But it was time for Elizabeth and I to begin our lessons for the day- something that Elizabeth insisted was unfair, since the boys did not have any lessons for another few weeks.

"You have daily lessons because you learn at home," Thomas explained to me, watching his sister try to debate with Miss Lancing. "You do not get longer breaks. This is the first year Michael has been away at school, so the first year Elizabeth has had to continue with lessons while he did not. Last year, they were still in the nursery together, and were both taught by a governess."

"Michael does not seem to like the school very much," I noted.

Thomas smiled. "He does not like any kind of structure. It does him good, though. It did me, as well. A boy cannot stay at home, under the care of his parents and governess forever."

"But a girl can?" I knew very little of the expectations of upper-class girls. Thomas and I watched as Miss Lancing reached for Elizabeth's wrist, holding her palm up to land several lashes across it, abruptly bringing the argument between them to an end. Michael stood to the side of the room, grinning.

Thomas nodded. "Of course. Until they are old enough for finishing school or marriage. They shall always be under the care of someone, though."

Miss Lancing called for me and I hurried forward, awkwardly adjusting my dress. The fork and spoon had come loose during my race with Michael, but were still in place well enough. I had hidden the marbles away in my pocket, and regretted not asking Michael if he had an extra drawstring pouch before being called away. They were clacking quietly as they bounced.

Once we reached the large study- a room attached to the daytime nursery, complete with bookshelves, globes, maps, and desks- Miss Lancing sat Elizabeth and I across from each other at the table. Elizabeth was still rubbing the palm of her hand, trying to rid herself of whatever sting lingered. She stopped fidgeting when Miss Lancing glanced at her sternly.

"Now girls," Miss Lancing began, opening her bag and pulling out what looked like scraps of paper. She laid them across the center of the table, making it possible for both Elizabeth and I to reach them. It was then that I saw that the papers were cut into different shapes, with words scribbled across them.

Elizabeth folded her hands neatly on the table, looking politely towards Miss Lancing. I was quick to follow suit, listening to the directions we were being given. "I want to start with simple tasks, to judge where you are in your lessons. We can go from there. So for now, I have taken apart a map of Europe. Piece it back together, and then we can discuss Capitals and landmarks."

I sat stark still as Elizabeth reached for one of the larger pieces. She did not even sort through the pieces to find ones she knew- she picked each one up confidently, glanced at it, and then quickly placed it around the larger scrap she had initially started with.

"Amelia," Miss Lancing said, drawing my attention away from Elizabeth and back to her. She raised an eyebrow. "Begin."

Slowly, I reached forward, picking up one of the larger scraps of the map, as if that would make it easier for me. I turned it over in my hands, looking at the scribbles across the paper, naming the country.

But I did not know where it went. I did not even know what the country was, despite the label across it.

With eyes still on me, I looked at the pieces that Elizabeth had already set in place. I kept my eyes on the map that was slowly falling into place, hoping that I could buy myself some time by making Miss Lancing assume that I was simply thinking.