Chapter 5

A/N okay wow, I haven't been on here in a month-ish and I didn't realize people were actually reading this shit so thanks to anybody who comments, reads and votes, it actually means a lot! I am currently locking myself in my room to finish this chapter for you guys. Enjoy.

Staying with Sherlock wasn't as bad as John thought it would have been. There was plenty of room, the kitchen was always stocked, and although he was asked to do certain secretarial errands such as grab coffee and make a few phone calls, John never saw much of the author.

It wasn't until he found the stash of cocaine that he truly felt uncomfortable there.

"It helps my writing process. I'm not an addict, John." Sherlock argued, but the ex-army doctor knew better and he hid all of it in his room.

It was like fathering another child... Again...

John could count the amount of times he had thought about the recently deceased Samuel Watson on one hand; when it happened, when the funeral took place and when Mary pleaded for forgiveness from prison. Other than that, Sherlock made sure that he was occupied most of the time and Harriet was his priority for the rest.

Mrs. Hudson had also agreed to stay a few nights a week at the manor to take care of the little girl. In that time, she had taught her to read simple words and John nearly teared up when she read him off some of the body parts from his anatomy textbooks.

A month had passed and John was tucking Harriet in when he heard a knock at the door.

"Come in." He called.

Sherlock stepped half into the room before stopping himself, "Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt, I'd like to have a word with you when you're finished here. I'll be in the sitting room."

And with that, he walked away.

A bit confused, John kissed his daughter on the forehead and turned off the lights in the newly pink bedroom. (Sherlock proposed navy blue instead, but when Harry saw the bubblegum pink paint swatch, her eyes lit up and she refused to leave without that particular colour.)

Sherlock was in the sitting room as he had said, sitting in the dark leather couch he always did. John, therefore, sat in the armchair across from said couch.

"So, you wanted to see me?" John asked, folding his hands in his lap.

"I was just wondering what your living arrangements are looking like in the near future." Sherlock replied.

"Oh, well, if you'd like for us to move out I'm sure there are some decent rooms somewhere els-"

"Who said anything about wanting you to move out?" the taller man cut him off.

"Oh, I just assumed-"

Sherlock cut him off again, "Don't assume anything about me John, I was going to ask if you wanted to make your arrangements here a bit more permanent."

John nearly choked on air.

Seeing the look on the older man's face, Sherlock quickly added, "Not if you don't want to, of course, I just find that what we have right now is convenient for me. Having you around helps me focus on my work and you're a decent assistant."

"I-I help you focus?" John stuttered.

"Yes. I'm nearly finished my book."

"Well in that case, I'd be happy to stay." John said before asking, "Tea to celebrate?"

"Yes, two sugars."

When John got up, he turned to the kitchen so quickly that Sherlock almost missed the wide grin on his face.

Almost.