Chapter 7

The next morning, John woke up late. Slowly opening his eyes, still swollen from crying last night, and stretched tired bones. It was only when he heard Harriet screaming downstairs that John looked at the clock beside his bed and saw that it was nearly noon. He quickly ran downstairs to make sure she was okay, not bothering to put a shirt on and going in nothing but a pair of flannel pajama pants. 

What John saw quickly melted away all of his fears; Harriet was wearing a frilly pink dress with a tiara half falling off of her tiny blonde head, and Sherlock Holmes, award-winning author, had a bright green dragon mask on and was chasing her around the living room with his arms extended. She screamed every time he caught her and scooped her up in his arms, and burst into a fit of giggles when he started to tickle her sides. 

"Daddy's up!" she screamed and Sherlock put her down so she could run up to John and hug his leg, "Save me from the evil dragon, Prince John!" she exclaimed, pointing to Sherlock who was in the middle of taking off his mask, his eyes catching on John's bare torso.

John simply chuckled and said, "Maybe another time, princess. Right now, run to the kitchen and pick out what you want for lunch."

She kissed him on the cheek and scurried happily into the next room. 

"You didn't wake me up." John stated, folding his arms over his chest.

"I didn't feel the need to, we were perfectly okay, and besides, you needed your rest after last night." said Sherlock. 

John smiled, and replied simply, "Thank you."

They both stood in silence, looking at each other, until Harriet burst in from the kitchen, a metal spatula in hand, and exclaimed, "I, princess Harry, would like some eggs!"

John and Sherlock both let out a small chuckle, "Can you go help her while I make myself decent?" asked John.

"Of course." Sherlock replied, looking everywhere but at John.

John changed into a pair of dark jeans and a burgundy shirt, combed through his blonde hair and headed downstairs again where he found Sherlock serving his daughter a small plate of eggs and toast. The plate was dark blue and had a picture of the Incredible Hulk on it, Harry's favourite John thought and smiled.

"We need a few groceries, so I'm going to run to the supermarket." said Sherlock after he had Harry settled down.

"Aren't I supposed to do that?" John asked, "You are paying me for it."

"You should spend the day with Harriet. You've been working tirelessly for me for about a month now and my schedule is clear today. I'm overdue for a visit with my friend Molly anyway." he said, standing up and putting on his signature Belstaff. 

John said goodbye to Sherlock as he walked out of the front door and got into his sleek, black car. Harry waved, smiling with a mouthful of eggs. A few minutes after Sherlock's departure, Mrs. Hudson arrived at the door with a small bag full of toys and sweets for Harry. The little girl happily followed the older woman into the living room while John tidied up the kitchen. 

Just then, his phone started ringing. Not knowing the number, he ignored it and continued his cleaning, but it rang again a few minutes later. Annoyed, John decided to answer it.

"Hello?" he asked.

"Hi, John." replied the person on the other end.

John dropped his phone, it was Mary.