Chapter 4

"Your daughter is quite fascinating." Sherlock remarked, studying Harry's pale blue eyes, "She's not like other children, she's... Special." He added, lingering on the final word.

John clutched his daughter closer to his chest, realizing that she was the only thing he had left of his once happy life.

Sweet, innocent Harriet Watson, with her shimmering blue eyes, curly blonde hair and bubbly personality. She was nothing like that today. Her eyes seemed to shimmer less and her blonde hair seemed darker, not even the fit of giggles she let out when Sherlock took her hand in his and examined it cheered John up.

"I'm sorry for your loss, John." Sherlock said, "You're welcome to stay here if you wish."

"That's thoughtful, but Harry and I will find a hotel somewhere." John said glumly.

He avoided looking Sherlock in the eye, knowing the pity he would see if he did.

"I insist. My home is large enough, it would be highly illogical for you to waste money on something so unnecessary." He said, making obscene hand gestures.

"Right, fine, but what about clothes? All we've got is what we're in now, and I'm not allowed back at my house because it's a bloody crime scene." John said, throwing his hands in the air.

Harry whimpered and John soothed her by placing a light kiss in her curls.

"I can have something arranged." Sherlock said, and simply sent a text to his brother.

Mycroft had cameras placed around Sherlock's home, knowing the trouble his brother got himself into, but nothing could have prepared him for what he saw when he checked the footage that day. In Sherlock's large sitting room sat a short man in a jumper and jeans, with a little girl perched on his lap. Sherlock seemed to be insisting on something and satisfied when the man opposite to him seemed to accept the proposal, pulled out his phone.

A few seconds later, Mycroft's own phone went off.

-I need clothing for the man and his daughter. I know you're watching us, I'm not an idiot, take his measurements and have something sent over. -SH

Mycroft smirked and sent back a text himself.

-A simple 'please' would work wonders for you, brother mine. -MH

Satisfied with himself, Mycroft went to the kitchen to fix himself some tea. When he came back, tea in hand along with a slice of chocolate cake, he saw he had another text.

-Please, fatty? -SH

Mycroft put the cake away and did as his brother asked.