Chapter 6

Meaning of the words used in this chapter:

Thayir pachidi (Also called Raitha) - It is curd (not yoghurt) with salt and raw onions. Some add raw cucumbers, carrots and/or chat masala

Akka - Elder sister

Periyamma - Mother's elder sister or wife of father's elder brother

Periyappa - Father's elder brother or husband of mother's elder sister.

Amma - Mother

Ammaamma - Mother's mother (Maternal grandmother)

Chiti - Mother's younger sister or wife of father's younger brother

Kozhambu - A spicy South Indian curry

Idly - Indian rice cake

Sambar - South Indian curry

Chutney - Side dish, looks like hummus (I'll put pictures below)

I did not know how I made it home. I could have taken a taxi or walked all the way. Hell, I could have gotten in someone's car and ordered them to drive me here. I glanced at my watch which showed me eleven at night.

When I walked out of that house an hour ago, I found my bag on the sofa. When I took my bag, Pughazh did not stop me. Instead, he just watched me from the entrance of my former room as I left.

Who was he? And when he spoke... why did he sound like he was dying? Did he have cancer or some other malignant condition where he would not live past two years? Was that why he was repenting?

All these years I had lived in that house, the times we both had conversed could be counted on one hand. He usually hung in the shadows, refusing to speak to others. But no one dared to bother him with his wife around.

Confused, without switching the lights on, I made my way to the kitchen to get myself a glass of water.

After I got myself one, I sat at the dining table and frowned deeply. What did he mean by anything he said? Was I supposed to know something? And what did he mean by him making a mistake and his wife taking it out on me?

Was I his illegitimate child? That could explain why his wife would hate me but he let me go. I shook my head. No. He was not my father. Just that thought was ridiculous.

But what could I have possibly done to anger his wife? Did I cast a spell on them to never have kids? Or was this a debt from my past life?

Too immersed in my thoughts, I failed to notice the footsteps that neared me. Only when she screamed, did I look up.

Monisha was leaning against the refrigerator and panted. "Fucking hell, Riga! Did you become a ghost or something?" She switched on the lights and glared at me.

I blinked at her innocently and showed her my glass. "I was just getting some water."

"Switch on the lights!" she seethed. "Next time when you wake up from your sleep, I will wait for you in the dark like this. Perhaps then you can tell me how your poor little heart took it."

I held my forehead in my hand. "Moni. Could you keep it down? I am developing a headache."

She was about to yell more, but then she bit her lips and came toward me. Flicking my forehead, she escaped before I could hit her. Then she opened the fridge and took out a glass box.

"Leftovers," she said. "Kriti and I ordered an extra chilli parotta. I will get it heated up for you."

That headache which was spreading suddenly curtailed itself and inched away. All this while I was certain that I had lost something. But seeing Monisha seriously heating my dinner, I decided that what was lost could be lost. Cause I had found something even better.