Chapter 7.1

A/N: I know. Another bonus chapter. 

"Kill him, Tara," a familiar voice urged. "You know he is not supposed to exist!"

He frowned. Who did his grandmother wanted to kill? Was it Reish's son? Or was it some rogue Magyc who had stumbled within their tribe's territory?

"He is my son," Tara, his mother snapped. "And why should I kill him? What crime did he commit?"

He stopped struggling to open his eyes for a second. As far as he knew, his mother had only one child and that was him. Why was his grandmother, the very female who showered him with love right up to last night want to kill him?

What did he do?

He had a normal life, as normal life as a Tzade's son could have. He grew up with the children of his age and since the leader of his tribe did not have any children of her own, he grew up under her.

He had a normal childhood and developed his magic at the age many would develop. That had been last night. He had gone to his grandmother's place for dinner and then suddenly silver sparks shot from his fingertips.

It was very, very normal.

So, why was his grandmother urging his mother to kill him? Did something happen to his magic?

"I won't," his mother said, cutting his grandmother off. "If you are scared of him, then don't visit him, don't see him. But he is my son, ma. I won't do anything to him."

"Are you crazy?" his grandmother hissed. "Rathi saw him last night. You have to kill him before Rathi informs our Zayin. If our Zayin comes to know what Sparsh did, you think she will let him live?"

"I am not afraid of her!"

"You should be," she said. "When Che left the tribe with his mate, the position of Tzade was vacant. You and Rathi both had the right to the title. You both were Chezhiyan's cousins. You won in the end and Rathi became a normal tribe witch. She already despises you enough. If she tells this to Zayin Priscilla, you think our Zayin will be magnanimous to let your son or our family live?"

His mother paused and then said, "Leave. I wish to be alone now. Anyway, I will have to speak to Taswin. But I will say this now, ma. I will not kill my son."

His grandmother huffed and left, slamming the door.

"I know you are awake," his mother sighed. "Get up."

He frowned. How did she know him so well? Did she know to mind-read? Or was this a skill learnt by all mothers?

He moved a little and opened his eyes to see his mother sitting next to him. She was someone who faced things head-on calmly. But now, she looked like she had aged a hundred years in a matter of twelve hours.

He was in his room and the blinds were drawn down. Everything in his room was the same as he had left last evening. His half-finished homework was on his table and his school bag on another chair. His uniform was in the laundry basket.

She massaged her temples and opened her eyes. "Sparsh..." she sighed. "Mother... mother regrets that she can't protect you anymore."

"Why?" he managed to whisper. "What happened?"

She pursed her lips and just when he thought she would not answer him, she said, "I think it is time I tell you about your father."

He blinked and then pushed himself to sit up. "Mom?"

She smiled thinly. "Why do you think your father never uses his magic?"

Sparsh frowned. His mother always told him that his father had been a powerful warlock. But he had never once seen his father ever use his magic. Even when a couple of lone witches once tried to kidnap him, his father stood on the sidelines and fought physically. It was only when his mother came did she save them both. If his father's magic had been more powerful than his mother's why did his father not do anything that day?