Chapter 4 - Magic

It was not hard to find the shop Zac had recommended, and after half an hour of browsing through magic books and items, Silver bought a book called "magic for beginners" for one Silver coin and returned to his room in the inn, which was located on the second floor.

It was a relatively big room compromised of a bedroom and an en-suite bathroom. The bedroom had a massive bed with a golden frame, which was far too large for one person, yet it did not seem out of place. Silver put away some of his luggage in the large wardrobe opposite the bed. He then sat at the desk next to his bed and began reading the book he had just purchased.

Silver learned a lot from the book, including the fact that everyone was born with an affinity to a kind of magic and that it was different for most people. The most common type of magic people had an affinity with was elemental magic. However, most people could only control one element.

The known elements were: fire, water, air, earth, and lightning. The second most common magic was enhancement, which allowed casters to enhance their bodies or other objects, making them stronger and faster. There were also rarer types of magic, such as light magic, which allowed healing and regeneration, and dark magic, which allowed the caster to summon the undead.

The book also stated that parents had a high chance of passing their magic affinities to their children. If a child had a fire caster mother and a water caster father, then there was a high chance that the child would have an affinity with fire, water, or even both types of magic.

The book then went on to describe how magic was learned. Most magic spells could be learned from a magic spell book. Common spell books could be found easily. However, the rarer ones would be obtained through dangerous endeavors or bought at sky-high prices.

The magic books would only give the person a general overview of the spell and were usually for one-time use. Magic books would only provide the users initial enlightenment, and it would then be up to the individuals' comprehension levels and ability whether or not they can learn the spell.

The book also mentioned how mages and magic spells were ranked. The ranking of magicians from lowest to highest was: beginner mage, apprentice mage, intermediate mage, arch-mage, master magician, and finally magic lord.

The ranking of magic spells from lowest to highest went from 1st to 6th tier, although the book hinted at a time when magicians could use legendary spells up to 8th tier. It was also detailed that some spells had restrictions, in which one could not learn that spell unless they were at a particular stage.

For example, beginner mages could only learn 1st tier spells such as water blast and ice blast. However, magic lords could use 6th tier magic such as meteor strike, a massive area of effect spell.

Lastly, the book detailed how to begin learning magic. The foundations of magic started with meditation and drawing in mana from the world. The mana gathered would be absorbed into an individual's mana pool, located in the navel.

Meditation would increase the amount and quality of an individual's mana pool. The higher quality one's mana pool was, the higher the level of magic they could use.

This was how people identified the level of a magician, as every magician had an aura of magic that other magicians could feel. Mana was also necessary for casting magic spells. Without a sufficient amount of mana, a magician would not be able to cast a spell.

With all this information Silver gathered from the book, he was almost ready to start learning magic. However, he could not find anywhere that mentioned how he could find out what type of magic he had an affinity with.

Silver decided to return to the shop he bought the book from and asked the Merchant. The Merchant laughed and tossed him a spherical-shaped clear ball.

"That there is an affinity stone. Just drop a bit of your blood on it, and it should tell you what your magic affinity is," exclaimed the Merchant.