Chapter 20 - Combat trial

As silver stepped through the door, he was met with a blinding light and had to use his arm to cover his face. It was only after a while that he could adjust his eyes to the light and look at where he was.

What he found was nothing but emptiness. Other than the marble floor, there was nothing else he could make out in this vast place. Even the door he had walked through was now gone, and there was no sign of whatever light source that illuminated the place.

[ Hmm, I wonder if I have already entered the simulation. ]

Silver thought as he started looking at his person for any clues that would support his hypothesis. Oddly enough, nothing was out of place as he still had everything he had been carrying.

Silver became shocked as he began to realize the implications of this matter if he really was in a simulation. What kind of powerful magic would it take to make one unable to distinguish reality from illusion? If this was all fake, then where was his real body? How easy would it be for someone to kill him right now?

Silver mused through these questions as sweat started forming on his brow. It was only now that he realized how weak he really was. In these trials, he had started harboring a hint of ego as he breezed through them with ease. But he realized now that he was merely a toad at the bottom of a well.

[ How could I have been so naïve? So blind? To think that I almost lost sight of my goal due to my arrogance. ]

Silver started laughing at himself quietly. Any observers who may have chanced upon him at this point would think he had gone crazy. Luckily for him, this was a simulation, and there were no bystanders. Even the Academy teacher judging this particular trial could not see into each individual simulation the participants were in.

This was because the magic apparatus used to make the simulation was limited in its abilities. It was only able to signal when one of the participants passed a wave and could not show how each individual had completed the challenges.

Some say that the mage who designed the apparatus made it like this so the participants could keep their secret methods and hidden abilities to themselves. Others criticized the mage's lack of ability and stated that this design was the full extent of his capabilities.

[ I need to get stronger quickly. Without strength, I will never find my parents. But first, let me show these people what I can really do. ]

Silver set off for the direction ahead of him as he made a secret promise to himself. It wasn't a promise he hadn't already made, but he was beginning to lose focus and needed to remember what he was here for.

The thing is, any individual could set a seemingly unachievable goal for themselves. But only few have the will and determination required to not stray from their path and forge ahead until they achieve that goal.

A rather peculiar scene was unfolding in a vast room made of marble that seemed fit for a giant. Currently, there was a crowd of people watching five youngsters. This on its own wouldn't have been anything to be concerned about.

However, when one looked closely at the five youngsters, they would wonder what was wrong with them. This was because they were all standing by an open door that seemed to lead nowhere, with their eyes closed.

This phenomenon didn't seem to concern the rest of the room's inhabitants, as they watched on silently, waiting for something.

Ding!

At this point, a light lit up on top of one of the doors.

"Incredible! It didn't even take him 5 minutes; I knew I was right about this kid," said Victor as a bright smile emerged on his face