Chapter 22- Dress shopping another form of torment

Arriving home I let out a huge sigh. This week has been super exhausting. Tomorrow was the Fields Gala and I for one wasn't too thrilled to be going. Tensions between Camila, Axial and especially Fiona was evident.

Anytime one of them tried explaining anything to me someone interrupts. It was infuriating.

"Eve!" Maverick exclaims rushing towards me clinging to my leg like a monkey to a tree.

"What's up mini me?" I ask gently patting her head.

"Let's play candy land!" The little seven year old demands while tugging at my pant leg.

"Just one round." I sternly tell her making sure she knows I was serious. I was exhausted and didn't really have the energy to do anything but to become with my bed right now.

"Okay." Maverick says cheekily.

Just one round my butt. Maverick some how convinced me with her sweet brown eyes. I was wrapped around this kid's finger and she knew it.

"I won again!" Maverick gets up and does a little victory dance. She was so cute. When she gets old enough to date I swear I will crush anyone who even glances her way. I was super protective of Maverick.

"You sure did. Time to go to bed." I yawn out glancing at my phone that read ten thirty. If mom and dad were up I would be in trouble Maverick bed time was nine.

"One more game?" Maverick asks giving me puppy dog eyes. I just give her a stern look in return. Don't cave. Don't do it. I kept repeating to myself in my head.

"Hop on my back and I'll tell you a bed time story." I bend down to her Maverick's height signaling her to get on. If I knew my little sister one thing was for sure she loved more than candy land and that was bed time stories.

"Once upon a time there was a girl named Little Red She loved to bake. One day while picking berries for a pie, she discovered a wounded wolf out in the forest."

Maverick stared at me enchanted by my made up story waiting for me to continue with her story.

"Hearing the wolf whine little red went to exam the wolf. Turned out the wolf was badly hurt. Little Red took the poor wolves leg and wrapped it up by tearing off a piece of her red cloak."

"What happens next Eve?" Maverick softly asks slowly drifting to sleep.

"Well.. the wolf looked over at Little Red with a big toothy grin on it's face. Confused Little Red let go of the supposedly injured wolves leg. The wolf gets up on all four legs even the fake bad leg and eats the little girl. The end."

"Eve! That's not a story you made up that's little red riding hood story." Maverick giggles now fully awake.

"That's not true." I gasps holding my heart like I was offended.

"Whatever Eve. Next time I'm going be the one telling the story." Maverick mumbles tucking herself back into her blanket.

"Sure thing mini me." I kiss the top of her forehead and close the bedroom door.
———————
Things I rather do than attend this horrifying gala. Literally anything else. I would even go shopping with my mother and let her buy me all the horrible dresses she wanted to.

Which made no sense now that I said it because today my mother insisted that we should go to the mall and try to find something for the gala.

I knew mom language. Something meant dresses. She wanted to put me in a puffy horrific dress.

"It's going be so much fun, my flower." Mom kept gushing in the car. That's right I was currently in the small vehicle with mom trying my best to pay attention to what she was saying.