Chapter 12

Sidharth sits in the courtroom with his family, Shehnaaz and Rahul. This was the final day for the plaintiff side to present their evidence. Tanushree stands up and calls Mrs. Gayatri Parmar to the stand.
"Mrs. Parmar, can you state your relationship with Dewan?"
"I came to their house when Sourav Dewan was 6 years old as his governess. I have brought him up like my own kid. Sourav considered me his mother. He gave me that same amount of respect and love. I am the grandmother to his children whom I have looked after after Mahima passed away."
"You have seen Sidharth Dewan since he was born. Am I correct?"
"Yes."

"Then you can identify him better than anyone else."
"Objection My Lord!"
Tanushree asks, "On what?"
"Mr. Bhaskar Ganguly, don't waste the Court's time with unnecessary Objections. Continue Miss Roy Chowdhry."
"Thank you My Lord. So, Mrs Parmar, when Saivi Mehra brought my client to the Dewan house, were you certain he was Sidharth Dewan?"
"Yes. How would I not recognize my boy? He was born right in front of my eyes. I have seen him grow into such a fine gentleman. I brought him up after his mother passed away."

"How were you so sure?"
Dida stares at Sidharth who sits on the first bench and smiles at him. He smiles back at her.
"When he came first, he had not regained his memory but he immediately hugged me and called me Dida."
Bhaskar stands up, "Everyone knows Sidharth Dewan and Saivi Mehra calls Mrs Parmar, Dida."
"Of course everyone knows that. But Mr.Ganguly, if you don't allow us to continue and keep disturbing us like this, how will we present what we want to? You will get your time to ask questions. Can you let us continue now?"
Bhaskar sits down.

"Please Mrs Parmar continue."
"He was shy, confused and scared the first few days but I knew it was him. The way he walked, the way he slept and the way he ate, everything was the same."
Bhaskar stands up against and with a short laugh, "My Lord, how different can a person eat or walk?"
Before Tanushree could reply, Dida says, "Really? Do you walk with your one hand in your pocket or sleep grabbing a pillow between your legs or hold the spoon with all your fingers instead of just your index one? I don't think so. My Sidu has a typical walk and holds the spoon in a particular way when he is at home. I have not seen anyone else do that. The guy sitting there is my Sidharth. He does everything that my Sidu used to do. Also he had called me something which only he and I knew. Mera Sidharth jab bhi neend se uthta tha, mujhe Amma bulata tha. Sourav used to call me that. Nobody knew about that, it was our own secret. After Sourav passed away, my boy used to call me Amma often when we were alone. Nobody knew about this. But that boy knew. He called me Amma the very next morning when I went to wake him up."

Tanushree smiles and says, "My Lord, a mother knows her child the best. She can identify her kids even when they are identical. Mrs Parmar is not anywhere less than a mother to Dewan siblings. She has identified this man as Sidharth Dewan."
She picks up a few papers and gives it to the Judge through the ballif.
"My Lord, Mrs Parmar's statements are enough to prove that the man here is Sidharth Dewan. Still I have substantial evidence to back my claims. Mrs Parmar has identified the marks that were present on the body of Sidharth Dewan. These include the birthmarks and the scar that he had since he was three from a burn accident. The list was noted in your office, in your presence, My Lord. I have already submitted the list to the court. Also I have presented the list prepared by the court appointed doctor who checked all the marks on the body of my client. And the reports are 99% match. Mr.Ganguly, you may now ask your questions."
Bhaskar stands up, "No questions, My Lord."

"I think we have a strong case now. The verdict should be on our side. I don't think Bhaskar Ganguly has anything in his sleeves to present as defendant evidence."
Tanushree says as they discuss the case in her chamber.
Saivi asks, "Are you sure? Those people are shrewd. They can do just anything."
"Of course they will do it. I am sure they will bring some false witnesses and evidence. But I think I can handle it. I am sure I can. This is my 15th case against Ganguly. I know what he thinks."
Sidharth asks, "What now?"
"Nothing. We need to wait for the next date. Let's see who he produces in the court as his witnesses."
"Hmm.. I want this over as soon as possible. It has been over a year now."
"Court cases in India are like this. Still we are getting closer dates. Don't lose patience Sidharth. You can't lose it now."
Sidharth nods his head.