Chapter 14

Loud beeping wakes Nik from his dreamless sleep. He sits up in bed, looking down at his wristwatch. It's only five. Why did he set his alarm for so early? He has two hours to kill before he meets Jane at her place. 

His feet contact the cold hardwood below. He stands, deciding now is as good a time as any to make some coffee. He is going to need it. He walks through the living room, towards the small kitchen at the other end of his apartment. He locates his coffee maker, popping in one of the brew pods and selecting the amount of water he desires. He places the mug underneath the nozzle and watches as the steaming amber liquid drips out. 

Once the machine stops producing his drink, he takes the mug and sets it on the counter. Nik then rummages through the fridge, looking for some kind of creamer to sweeten it. He isn't a black coffee type of guy. It takes him a second, but eventually, he finds what he is looking for. He finishes preparing his coffee and cleans up his mess. He takes his beverage to the living room. 

Nik sits on the U-shaped sofa, facing the large wall of windows. It's still early, but he can see the sun slowly inching its way towards the horizon. Nik blows some steam away from his cup and takes a sip. In a complex across the street, Nik watches lights start to turn on, illuminating some of his neighbors' windows. Its too far to see anyone, but just knowing that there are other people up this early is comforting. He takes another sip, watching the city as it wakes beneath his window. 

He stays like this until his cup is empty. He turns on the TV. He flips through the channels. It's mostly news at the moment. He finds a silly cartoon and watches it until he decides he should get dressed and ready to go pick up Jane. Somehow he managed to pass the time quicker than he expected to. 

He returns his mug to the kitchen and then retreats back into his room to find clothing. He doesn't want to get too dressed up since he will be sitting in a plane for a few hours. Office clothes are the least comfortable clothing to wear on a plane ride. Nik settles on a pair of light gray joggers, a plain white pocket tee and a pair of old man moccasins. He is too lazy to do more than fluff up his hair with his hands. How do people get all dressed up this early on a Monday morning? He will never know. When Nik is satisfied with his loungewear, he texts his assistant to have a cab sent to his apartment. 

Ten minutes later Nik is out the door, wallet, and keys in tow, somewhat ready to take on the morning. The only thing truly keeping him awake and moving is thinking about Jane and how he will have her all to himself for a full week. Should he take off the week? Nik decides to have his assistant cancel or push back all of his appointments for the next week. If Jane is going to be having fun in L.A., he wants to be in on it. 

---------

Jane throws on a pair of light blue jean shorts, a black hoody, and her slippers and throws her hair up into a messy bun. She pulls out a few strands of hair to complete the look, relying on them to frame her face nicely, elevating the look enough to make it seem like she didn't just crawl right out of bed. She did, but he doesn't need to know that. 

She does her other morning routine things and then rushes through her front door and down to the lobby. Luckily, her purse was still packed from the previous night, and she was wise enough to pack her luggage as well. She sits on a bench by the front doors and pulls out her phone to see where Nik is. Jane notices a missed call. She peeks her head around to see if there are any cars waiting outside. She sees a cab and Nik's tired expression.