Chapter 20

Nik puts the pasta in a large pot to cook. It shouldn't take too terribly long since it is fresh pasta. Five minutes go by, and the pasta is ready to plate. He grabs two plates, and spoons a mound of pasta onto each plate, leaving a small divot in the center for the sauce. He pours the sauce and then sprinkles some fresh parmesan on top. 

Jane is still upstairs so Nik decides to take this extra time to clean up his kitchen mess, set the table, and pour some drinks. 'It's not too early for wine right? We are on vacation,' Nik thinks to himself. Remembering that Jane got pissed with the expensive wine from earlier, Nik decides to do some random cheap store brand wine that he was gifted during an office party way back when he was just managing one of the Pharmcorp buildings. 

Man time sure does fly by fast. He pops the cork, letting the maroon liquid fill each glass to the brim. "That looks fancy." Jane hops off the last step, still towel-drying her long dark hair. She is wearing a pair of black leggings and a long, white t-shirt with a faded NASA logo on it. Nik vaguely remembers seeing stuff like this at the mall when he was a teen. 

"Nothing too fancy. Just your basic spaghetti with red sauce. You hungry?"

"After all the swimming, running around, and uh ... other stuff, I am starved. I'm impressed. I don't think I know how to make fresh pasta. I've only ever used the boxed stuff." Nik chokes on his wine. Boxed pasta, is disgusting. 

"How could you do that to yourself? That stuff is so gross. It always tastes stale and like the cardboard box, it came in. You poor poor woman." Nik motions towards the seat next to his, wanting Jane to sit down and have a bite of REAL pasta. 

"Yeah, I am a poor woman. That is the exact reason why I have eaten and will continue to eat boxed pasta. You are such a pasta snob." Nik chuckles, accepting this new title he has been given. Jane sits down in the spot Nik has prepared for her. She tosses her towel on the back of the chair, making a mental note to remember to take it up right after lunch so that she doesn't ruin the chair with the moisture from her towel. 

She picks up her fork and swirls it around the plate, picking up a hefty bite of pasta. She scoops it into her mouth, letting the flavors hit her tongue one at a time. She lets out a content sigh. The eggy and salty pasta coupled with the acidity from the tomatoes in the sauce is heavenly. "I take that as I sign that I did a good job." Nik smirks, proud of himself for what he was able to accomplish in the kitchen today. 

He had fun cooking for more than just himself. They continue lunch just like this, eating, talking, Nik complaining about boxed pasta, etc. It was a lovely lunch and an even lovelier way to spend the late afternoon. After Nik and Jane have cleaned up their places, Nik takes Jane into the library. He remembers her face when they first walked past the book-filled haven. He wants to see it again. 

Jane recognizes exactly where they are headed and rushes on ahead to see it. As she opens the doors her nose is greeted by the welcoming smell of aging paper. She will never get over the smell of old books, it's one of her favorites. Nik walks through the aisleways trying to find something interesting to read. He has read most of these books so searching for something new to read takes him a bit. 

Once he has secured his reading material he heads in the direction of the large brown leather couch that rests in the center of the room. Jane has already picked her book and is reading along feverishly. She doesn't even notice as Nik sits down next to her. He decides sitting isn't comfortable enough, so he lays down, head on her lap this time. That's when Jane finally notices her chair neighbor. "You spooked me."