Chapter 4: Confounding Predisposition

It now felt an enchanting reverie. 

I had arrived at the University Of Portsmouth, Hampshire, south of England's most distinguished one, and this terrific fantasy of mine, which I possessed since my adolescence had ultimately become my reality, after several years of vexatious anticipation.

I had been informed about this remarkable university through an online article and later I explored this institute by taking aid from the virtual explorer, as I never had the florid countenance or cantankerous nature to be obstinate over petite desires in front of my father. 

Portsmouth had successfully managed to cross out all the other universities and institutes at Hampshire, that crept on the same path of prosperity and fame long ago, and now it employed and functioned expeditiously.  

I pulled up the car at the entrance of the building's parking lot as I could be a very restless type of creature occasionally, and I will never prefer to pester myself by adding up on my labours.

As soon as I jumped down from the driver's seat I picked up my backpack and pocketed the car keys, conscious of appearing nonchalant and chic, although I was well aware that the pristine white marble walls that circumscribed the university's building were bragging about their extreme beauty and elegance by the extensive grandeur already.

 The infrastructure was skillfully constructed, with four Italian terraces built on either side of each building. The exterior of the galleries looked exceptionally lavish, with porcelain paint covering every piece of furniture that was noticeable to me.

There were a total of three sky-scraping buildings which were visibly linked through the only magnificent skyway that was erected on the topmost floor with finesse. The towering glass-made structures vividly blared the sign of optimistic days laid ahead, and with a quite earnest mind of receiving success here, I stepped out. Everything had a delicate yet appealing charm in itself.  

The ambience was invigorating and I was engulfed in the rejuvenating environment to such an extent that I couldn't catch glimpse of the impertinent and pretentious senior high-school students and their multiple cliques formed by them at the entrance, who are and were always present in universities to mock the newcomers or to be precise, the introverts every year.

 I looked up after I had securely bolted the car's door and was still in awe of the glorious palace I was going to be residing in for six months. I had never imagined, even in my wildest dreams, that my application form would have been accepted immediately.

Not only accepted but I had been granted a half year's cut-off on my fee. The reason for this still remained unknown to me, but it needed clarification now. How cool was that! 

Without further wasting my precious time, I sauntered to the main gate that opened up to a wide expanse of Malachite-green field. It was explicitly an area for picnic stuff, I thought rather shrewdly. 

Upon scrutinizing the area for a couple of minutes I recognized a few students back at my senior school, who were unluckily very extroverted mates yet, somehow I could never hang out with their group.

Although a few of them were intimate with me, I still felt doubtful of their companionship. The group reminded me of Cameron Ashley. The handsome, blonde man I had dated the year before I had unconditionally fallen head over heels in love with Ms Clarissa.

We had dated for an insanely brief period as he had been very much inclined to lovemaking with me that I had to resign from the bothersome unwanted- romance that prevailed at an extreme pace, plus I had developed uncertainty of my sexuality.  

He was a second-year student at that time, about 3 years older than me but about half a foot taller than my skinny, stunted miniature. Normally, blonde curls fell gently on his forehead in a flattering way and almost every day they were dishevelled yet somehow immaculate - if that was possible.

His facial expressions always made him appear arrogant and presumptuous. However, I had always loved the sight of his high cheekbone to the sharp jawline but as nothing remains content for long, we had a heart-breaking clash which, I still blame, was all due to his dominant, self-satisfying and absurd nature.

 It was my final year at school and I had to get the best grades to qualify for Portsmouth uni, but his obnoxious mind had always insisted on peeling me out of my everyday dresses, loved caressing my bulging breasts, and urged me to have sex with him at least once a fortnight and considering my priorities, I wasn't too receptive.

In addition to this, it was evident he had been using me as a douche bag for the prior five months and I hadn't objected at all as I was fond of getting pleasure myself, but his precipitance made his self-centeredness and lust transparent to me. He was there merely to exploit a living creature his eyes found seductive and I never wanted that sort of ravenous behaviour.

Anyways, why do humans expect life NOT to be bitter or tough? I shrugged off the depressive thoughts once again. Why do I always end up thinking something sulky? That bawdy guy is long gone now Eve,  try to think optimistically. I cynically urged my predisposition. 

All this was near the vestibule where new students were filing up to get into the cafeteria, for sure, I realised after glancing at the direction board. Regardless of where they were heading, I had to meet the -principal.

I hastily jogged to the central staircase and caught sight of the school board that bore the institute's name in huge, black capital letters. Finally, as I stepped on the last stair, which felt like the millionth, my breath hitched.  

Before me I could see a hurdle of numerous students from various backgrounds assembled in the different blocks, clearly shouting slogans and supportive speeches for some other pupils. They all looked quite desperate to be heard while I remained shocked and recovered after a deep Inspection of the vicinity.

Abruptly, my nerves were in disarray, I seriously had to reach the principal's office chamber so she or he could appoint me a guide, otherwise, I would surely be side-tracked and engulfed by this chaos. I speculated hopelessly. Now, where was the principal's chamber?

Right in front of the uproarious gathering was a spiralling white marble staircase, etched with nothing but carved-in designs that made the staircase appear more majestic, and there sat a security guard.

I pranced towards his dull brown table which was already stacked with papers. The man dressed in a navy blue suit must have noticed my presence as he looked up abandoning his paperwork, his raven-black eyes scrutinizing my every move.

 He inquired of me," 'Morning Mam! How may I help you? Are you searching for Madame Pomfrey?" 

"Yes, for quite a while", I appeased. "Can you tell me where her chamber is? I'm a newcomer, the year 2022 batch".

He ruffled a few of his papers and took out a blank envelope, bluntly scratching his bald head. He took out a pen from his front pocket and shoved the envelope in my hand along with the fountain pen. "I apologise for your delay in attending your first semester's introductory class, as I was responsible for handling this. But now hurry up, have a look at the envelope's letters. All the directions, contact numbers and your schedule will be accessible to you. And the chamber is on the fifth floor of this building, you may visit her in five minutes but after I make a call". He paused. "What's your name, dear?", he implored. 

"Evelyn, Evelyn Grace, sir", I informed him. 

He was on call the next moment and after uttering a few sentences hurriedly, he said " Very well, you may visit her now." 

I nodded, gratefully and scuttled upstairs expecting nothing but another strict, authoritarian woman instructing and reprimanding me for the minor blunders I could commit in the following months. 

As I raced upstairs, inquisitiveness spiked my blood and incentivised me to further speed up, to meet my new principal. The last one had been very reserved yet dedicated and devoted to her school's remarkable performance.

As I scurried up, finally, I looked down. Flattening my shirt and hair, I wished I had tied my hair more firmly, however now was not the time to ponder over my foregone time. I placed my quivering hand on the doorknob, turned and politely inquired if I could enter. 

"Enter, please", came the sharp ringing response.

Inhaling a deep breath, I entered and unexpectedly, yesterday's nightmare vividly flashed in my sapphire blue orbs, giving me sudden goosebumps.

"Something wasn't gonna be alright shortly", my capricious instinct informed me beforehand.