Chapter One

AN: welcome, friends. Before we begin, please be aware that this is an angsty story (with a bittersweet ending---I hate myself so much for that). There is also a decent amount of violence, which I will announce before the applicable chapters. This chapter has slightly graphic, imaginary depictions of violence.

Cover art is mine. Songs posted above each chapter are NOT. This chapter gets "Remain" by Saleka from the movie "Old." It doesn't really fit this chapter, but more of the whole fic.

Also, before you yell at me for being inaccurate to LoZ lore or smth, know that this is just my creative brain writing a pretend scenario. I do not claim this to be remotely close to canon. Enjoy!

Chilly. The forest was chilly, both in its temperature and the sensation it sent down her spine. Thick swirls of white mist danced and weaved around her like living things. Everything in the forest was alive—she could hear it.

    Flee, dear goddess, a gnarled, dark tree begged.

    No one is safe here, a small willow added.

    He spares no trespassers, an aged, thick-trunked tree promised.

    She knew that, but she continued. She also knew that the trees meant well, yet nothing could deter her from her task. Desperation was a powerful motivator. The End was coming if she did not enlist the aid of every being in the realm. From what she had heard, the being that guarded this forest was indifferent to the affairs of the world. He never left the woods, though frightened villagers had claimed to see him standing like a statue at the edge of the treeline before. Still, he would not reach past his borders, despite legends of his combative skills that guaranteed victory should he try to conquer any other land. He never spoke a word, never left his woods, and never meddled in the issues of Hyrule.

    Truthfully, she had no idea where his morals stood. She had seen the fear-stricken corpses of trespassers disposed of on his border. He was brutal and merciless, but never once ventured outside his domain. His rules were clear: stay out of his forest and he would stay away from the people. It infuriated her just a bit, because she was aware of his power and could only watch as he never used it for good.

    Her frustration and desperation had become unbearable, hence why she now found herself recklessly trespassing his domain. She needed his help. His protection would save thousands of innocent lives, if only he would care about more than himself and his forest. She was here to convince him—no matter the cost.

    Flee, dear goddess.

    No one is safe here.

    He spares no trespassers.

    The trees continued their pleas like a chant. Quiet as they were, she could pick out more voices joining the mix.

    He knows no mercy.

    Please, sweet goddess.

    Before it is too late.

    She continued onward. The hairs on her arms stiffened as the atmosphere seemed to get colder. The air was thick with mist and cooled her lungs. Getting lost in these woods was a strong possibility, but she had no intention of leaving without his aid. She needed his help.

    Please, sweet goddess.

    He spares no trespassers.

    Flee, dear goddess.

    Before it is too late.

    No one is safe here.

    He knows no mercy.