𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦-𝑠𝑖𝑥

[ Chapter Twenty-Six ]

Cause For Concern

Bulgaria 1490, Katerina laid on the bed. As she was delivering a baby, her mother was seemingly helping her. Words escaped from her mother's lips, and soon enough, her mother said the words Katerina had been waiting for.

"It's a girl." Her mother informed her.

"A girl. Please mother, let me see her." Katerina breathed out, aching to see her daughter.

"Woman, don't! What are you doing?" Katerina's father exclaimed. Her mother handed her father the baby.

Tears welled up in Katerina's eyes, "Let me hold her once... just once." She begged, choking back more tears.

Her father turned to her, "Forget it! You have disgraced this family."

As he left the room with the baby, Katerina let out a scream and tears rolled down her face. Despite her protests, her father did not come back with her daughter. "No Katerina, it's better for her! It's better for her!"

She wrapped Katerina into a hug while Katerina let more tears roll down her cheeks. "No mother, please..." All she wanted was to hold her daughter once.

"Let her go, let her go Katerina."

"Please, mama..." Katerina pleaded once more.

The doors opened with her mother leaving the room and closed once a close friend of hers walked in. As soon as Katerina saw her, she was embraced into a comforting hug.

"Meredith, I-"

"I know, darling, I know." Meredith allowed her friend to cry into her shoulder until she spoke again, "Katerina, I am leaving to head home to England soon, and I am asking if you would like to come with me."

Meredith didn't expect her to answer as quickly as she did, "I might as well." Both women stood up slowly, Meredith still providing comfort to her close friend.

In the present day, Preston stood outside the Salvatore Boarding house, a scowl plastered on her face. Of course the case was partially solved, but still. She forgot how much she enjoyed solving supernatural cases. It was a comfort for her.

Both Elena and Preston walked through the doors. Elena looked a lot more concerned when she saw Rose. They were led into the living room, in which Elena sat on the couch, whereas Preston sat on a chair. She didn't sit properly on the chair, she had laid both legs across the arms of the chair and fiddled with her dagger.

Rose started to explain things, "okay, you have to understand I only know what I've picked up over the years and I don't know what's true and what's not true. It's the problem with all the vampire crap but Klaus, I know he's real." Rose paced around in a line.

"Who is he?" Elena asked, her arms crossed.

Damon answered quickly, "he's one of the originals, he's a legend."