Chapter Thirteen - Dead Man's Burger

I will never take food for granted ever again. Burgers disappeared into my mouth and after about nine cheeseburgers, I finally started to feel satisfied and refreshed. My body seemed to fill my suit properly and colour returned to my once decayed skin. Bennie's Bean had the best burgers in Cross County and I don't think I would rather have a first meal anywhere else. Megan hadn't taken her eyes off of me since I emerged from the ground, nor has she said a word beside my name. I barely remember getting to the restaurant, besides sitting down and ordering more food than I think either of us had the money for. I was in a suit that was covered in dirt and grime and I could still feel the soil trapped at the tip of my shoe. It was one of the few things I could feel at the moment, I'm pretty sure I have Rigor mortis and my body isn't handling the sudden need to move very well but the food was helping. I called the waitress back again and ordered another burger, she looked at me with horrified eyes but took the order down and walked away. Meg just stared at me, lost for words.

"Do you want a bite?" I asked her.

That knocked her to her senses. She slammed a knife off the side of a table and grabbed it in midair. She inches away from my face on the table with the knife's tip jamming at the base of my throat, I didn't even see her move. "Who the hell are you?"

No one seemed to even notice the redhead pointing the knife at my throat, which means she was using her powers to make the people around us see whatever she wanted them to. I wanted to be afraid, but I didn't have the energy. "It's me. I mean you saw me crawl out of my grave."

"I've seen a lot of things, this wouldn't be the weirdest thing I've seen."

"A lot, it's been like half a day or something since I died but clearly that didn't stop you from putting me in the ground." That statement seemed to infuriate her more.

"Who are you?" Her voice filled with rage.

"Megan, it's me."

"Prove it." She pressed the knife deeper into my neck, breaking the skin. Dark black coagulated blood dribbled onto the blade followed by a brighter red.

My brain was slowly thinking through anything that I could. "Uh, let me think."

"Three," She started the tip pressed harder.

"Our first kiss." I blurted. She took a pause, the force alleviated off my neck.

"Talk before I lose interest."

"It was what, a month or something into us dating. We were having a picnic in the park and it was going to hell, a bird took a sandwich, we were in the middle of an argument and it started raining. We decided to head back, it was so silent even with the sound of the rain and it was unnerving. Halfway to your house I stopped and kissed you. For a second you just made a face, then you started laughing. I asked why and you said-"

"You're just an idiot, that's all." She whispered, dropping the knife and wrapping her arms around me. My heart sunk in her arms, I felt safe for the first time since I was in Heaven.

"Is that good enough proof for you?" I asked her, holding her tightly.

She pushed off of me and looked me in the eyes, they dazzled with happiness before she threw a punch straight at my jaw. I fell to the floor hard on my side, bringing down a burger with me. "How the hell are you here?"

"That is a long story," I said as I held my cheek in pain. As I said that a hum went off from Meg's pocket, she grabbed her phone and froze.

"It's Stephy. She's going to freak out when I tell her." She said as she picked up the phone.

"Wait, don't mention me. Don't tell her." I said, she looked at me with confusion, suddenly she was having trouble making sentences. I got up from my seat and grabbed another burger.