Prologue

Light footsteps can be heard in the dark alleyway. The source of the noise - a pair of high heels that a hooded figure is currently wearing as she struts through the winding path. Humming lightly to herself, the hooded girl soon finds what she's looking for: a tall, somewhat menacing silhouette facing the pale moonlight.

"So, did you do it?" The tall figure asks. The girl pauses for a long while before smirking slightly. Sashaying to the tall figure's side, she leans towards him to test his reaction.

Upon hearing a lack of response, she frowns a little and replies, "What can I say...that was easy." The tall figure steps away from the girl, his mouth slightly pulled downwards into a half-grimace. "Your tricks won't work on me, asshole," he hisses, though there was a hint of amusement in his eyes.

The girl groans as the figure pulls the knife that is casually lodged between his throat and a delicate, soft hand. Tugging her hood lower, she mumbles in a nearly imperceptible voice, "I thought you might let your guard down..."

The figure pushes the knife back into the sheath at the side of the girl's hood, shifting it a little to reveal the elaborate embroidery of the dress beneath it. He doesn't react as she flinches and conceals her dress more. "Don't touch me," the girl snaps, but her eyes automatically find their way to the figure's face. However, the figure's face remains unreadable, an expression forged from nearly six years of bloodshed. The girl purses her lips in a thoughtful silence.

After a period of comfortable quietness, the figure shifts closer to the girl. She makes no move to shy away, used to the closeness they both share. Yet, even with the physical intimacy they have, their hearts are always carefully kept at a distance from each other. Beyond masks, missions and goals, they aren't really sure if they'll even be by each other's side.

"You said you'd thought I might let my guard down." It is a statement, so the girl makes no attempt to refute his point. Her sparkling purple eyes meet his golden brown eyes. There is a long pause before the figure continues to speak.

"I think you should know best that in this life, I'll never let my guard down."